Nonprofit New York celebrates seven organizations for their excellence in nonprofit management
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Contact Lakimja Mattocks at 646-893-1933; [email protected]
New York, NY, November 2, 2020 – Nonprofit New York is highlighting seven nonprofit organizations in their 2020 Nonprofit Excellence Awards, which uplift and celebrate nonprofits’ innovative management practices. Global Kids has been chosen as the Overall Management Excellence Award Winner, Chicken & Egg Pictures and Exalt Youth as runners up, and four other organizations have been recognized. The Overall Winner and six other organizations will be celebrated at and participate in Nonprofit New York’s virtual 2020 Best Nonprofit Conference on Monday, December 7 and Tuesday, December 8, 2020.
The Awards program, now in its 14th year, is an opportunity to learn about Nonprofit New York’s Key Areas of Nonprofit Excellence. Recognized organizations are featured at Nonprofit New York’s Best Nonprofit Conference, which gives all nonprofits a way to learn from - and aspire to - the best practices of the Overall Management Excellence winner, and other recognized organizations. This year’s conference will not only celebrate the awardees and the resilience of the entire sector, but also provide an opportunity for the sector to connect, share ideas and tools, and start to think about what comes next.
The Winner, Runners Up, and Specially Recognized organizations were judged by the 37-person expert Selection Committee who evaluated the applicants and shared tailored feedback and expertise with the applicants throughout the Awards program. For the first time ever, the Awards process--from application to selection--was completed entirely online.
“In a year full of uncertainty, loss, and injustice, nonprofit organizations have demonstrated new levels of dedication, creativity, and grit. We are thrilled to have an opportunity to applaud the excellent management and governance practices demonstrated by these recognized organizations,” said Meg Barnette, Nonprofit New York President and CEO. “ We look forward to highlighting their practices at the Best Nonprofit Conference, bringing the sector together, and beginning our collective efforts to move from crises through recovery.”
The Special Recognition recipients are:
- Chicken & Egg Pictures supports women nonfiction filmmakers whose artful and innovative storytelling catalyzes social change. They are recognized for their practices in Communications because of their culture of feedback and highly-effective, recognizable brand. Chicken & Egg Pictures is also recognized for their practices in Fundraising for their cultivation plan that engages their donors year-round.
- DREAM formerly Harlem RBI - uses the power of teams to inspire youth to recognize their potential and realize their dreams. They are recognized in the area of Technology and Data Use for their practices and clear commitment to tech as a way to support strategy.
- Exalt Youth (exalt) catalyzes a transformation in the way their participants THINK, which is a necessary precursor to substantive and long term behavior change. They are recognized for their practices in Planning and Evaluation because they regularly track, measure, evaluate and report on defined goals through transparent, organization-wide commitment to accountability, legal compliance, effectiveness and ethical behavior.
- Good Call is a free 24/7 emergency hotline that connects people who are arrested with a free lawyer and their loved ones, with just one phone call They are recognized for their practices in Advocacy and Strategic Alliances for their innovative and strategic approach to relationship building that effectively serves their constituents. They are also recognized for their practices in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for their inclusive decision making and their management practices centered on anti-oppression.
- Partnership with Children supports the most vulnerable children in overcoming the stress of growing up in poverty. They are recognized for their practices in Financial Management for their collaborative budget process and scenario planning. Partnership with Children is also recognized for their practices in Human Resources for their commitment to preserving their staff during the crisis and inclusive talent management approach that focuses on staff on all levels.
- Trail Blazers creates a world where all people have opportunities to go outside and grow within. They are recognized for their practices in Governance because of their online board member portal and their strong board committees that engage in risk management and professional development opportunities.
“Congratulations to the seven organizations for this well-deserved recognition of their inspiring commitment to excellence. And kudos to the Nonprofit New York staff and to the Awards Selection Committee for their perseverance and resolve under very challenging circumstances.” – Lorie Slutsky, president of The New York Community Trust.
The Overall Winner receives a $30,000 prize and a scholarship to the Columbia Business School Executive Education Programs in Social Enterprise for nonprofit leaders. The two runners up receive a $10,000 prize and scholarship, and each Specially Recognized organization will receive a scholarship.
“Columbia Business School Executive Education is proud to recognize these dedicated nonprofits. Their ability to innovate, adapt and respond to the extreme challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic deserves to be celebrated and serves as a model for organizational excellence” said Matthew Harty, Head of Social Enterprise Programs in Executive Education at Columbia Business School.
Nonprofit New York manages the Nonprofit Excellence Awards program in collaboration with The New York Community Trust and The Clark Foundation. WNYC is the media sponsor. Additional financial and in-kind support is provided by the JPMorgan Chase & Co., RSM US LLP, and Columbia Business School Executive Education Programs in Social Enterprise. For more information about the Awards and Key Areas of Nonprofit Excellence, visit our website.
Nonprofit New York exists to strengthen and unite New York’s nonprofits. We’re building a thriving community of extraordinary nonprofits — a relentless, collective force for good. In partnership with our member organizations, we’ve been building a powerful nonprofit community in New York for over 35 years, driven by the belief that when one nonprofit is stronger, all of us are stronger. Nonprofit New York is a 501(c)3 nonprofit membership organization based in Manhattan. Visit www.nonprofitnewyork.org for more information.
# # #