NPCC Policy & Advocacy
Nonprofit New York grounds our strategy in the Declaration of Nonprofit Rights. Our job is to elevate the voices of our members, and the nonprofit sector, to advance public policy that supports the sector, and to strengthen your ability to advocate for your mission. We know that you don’t have time to follow every nonprofit-related policy in New York - so we do that for you.
We do this by:
- Monitoring, assessing, and responding to nonprofit-related policy proposals throughout New York City and New York State.
- Engaging with, informing, and working with government leaders, through our Government Relations Council, to create government policies that make sense for nonprofits.
- Engaging in strategic alliances with community leaders to advance policy that supports the sector.
- Informing our members about the policies that most impact them - and providing channels that allow them to have a say in what is happening in the sector.
Nonprofit New York's Declaration of Nonprofit Rights
The Declaration of Nonprofit Rights is Nonprofit New York’s bold vision for a powerful nonprofit sector. It is Nonprofit New York’s north star, the guiding principles that form the basis of our worldview of the sector’s needs and potentials, and in turn, guide our day-to-day public policy work to meet those needs and potential.
The Declaration lays out four principles of nonprofit rights, with attendant responsibilities:
- We have a right to sustainable resources and a responsibility to serve our communities well.
- We have a right to engage in advocacy and a responsibility to share our expertise.
- We have a right to be fairly treated as a workforce and a responsibility to champion equity.
- We have a right to be powerful forces of change and a responsibility to advance the future of all communities.
Download our Declaration of Nonprofit Rights.
Be part of the conversation about the Declaration. Tell us what you think!
Do you love it? Wish we would change something? We know that, with all meaningful conversations, we will have different points of view - and we look forward to how these conversations can refine the Declaration, the principles therein, and the sector’s power to create change. While this Declaration is Nonprofit New York’s north star for policy advocacy, we recognize that, as with all things, change is necessary and good, and we will endeavor to include your thoughts, ideas, and insights into this work, and this Declaration, each year.
Tell us what you think about about our Declaration in our two-question survey.