In spring 2020, Nonprofit New York conducted two surveys to gauge how New York City area nonprofits were being impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Key findings include:
- $31,387,440 total revenue lost or postponed from all respondents, with the average amount lost equal to $475,567.
- 947 staff laid off or furloughed collectively, with the average number of staff dismissed at 14. Excluding the organizations that did not lose any staff boosts the average to 56.
- Organizations with people of color in leadership lost close to $200,000 more than the overall average; losing an average of $637,130, surpassing the overall average of $475,567.
- Organizations with gender-nonconforming or nonbinary leadership lost close to $250,000 more than the overall average, losing an average of $725,000.
- Of respondents who have government grants, 61% have received at least some contracted money but 11% did not receive payments even after fulfilling contract obligations.
- 85% respondents have had to cancel programs and/or events.
- 64% respondents report a disruption of services to clients and communities.