Senior Officer, Philanthropy and Strategic Partnerships
YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund (FSF) seeks an experienced development professional to build on a strong base of sponsorship support, diversify funding streams, create an overall culture of philanthropy, and build a base of consistent individual and institutional donors.
FSF facilitates the future careers of talented young adults from diverse backgrounds, awarding over $1 million each year in scholarship funding and providing Scholars with intensive mentorship, industry networking, internship and career opportunities, professional development, and direct access to the world’s top companies and most influential leaders in fashion and related business sectors. FSF was founded in 1937 and is the foremost fashion-oriented education and workforce development non-profit in the U.S., with an annual budget of approximately $3 million, of which more than 80% is raised at its signature Awards Gala.
The Senior Officer will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with Board leadership and other key constituencies. The position is full-time and based in NYC.
- Prioritize, coordinate, encourage, and support effective fundraising efforts by the Executive Director, board members, and other stakeholders
- Build relationships with individual and institutional donors and prospects; manage own portfolio of donors and prospects, solicit gifts
- In consultation with Executive Director and marketing professionals, initiate and negotiate sponsorships and cause marketing partnerships that generate substantial income for FSF
- Suggest and organize appeals and annual campaigns that engage all stakeholders
- Establish and/or oversee infrastructure to manage robust fundraising effort (including donor database and giving platforms, acknowledgements process, donor recognition, donor/prospect communications, collateral, etc.)
- In partnership with the Executive Director and relevant Board committees, set, meet, and exceed ambitious annual fundraising goals, maximizing revenue from the Annual Gala, other benefit events, and other strategies
- Suggest and implement strategies to expand the base of annual donors
- Coach, educate, and support the Board and other stakeholders in their fundraising activities
- Create and regularly report on agreed-upon measures of success including, but not limited to, progress toward annual income goals, donor retention, donor meetings and solicitations, etc.
- Suggest, secure, coordinate, and lead donor meetings, cultivation events, and other donor engagement or stewardship opportunities
- Solicit and close five- and six-figure gifts from major donors, corporations, and foundations
- Create and implement strategies to build multi-year, planned, and endowment giving; develop multi-year fundraising plan leading to a future anniversary campaign
- Create innovative strategies to engage emerging philanthropists and entrepreneurs in giving
- Establish and implement procedures for tracking relationships and activities
- As needed, write letters of inquiry, donor correspondence, grant proposals and reports; prepare proposal budgets; maintain a digital library of necessary grant attachments
- Suggest and/or provide optimal content for website, information kits, press kits, etc.
- Implement and manage regular donor/prospect communications including appeals and e-newsletters
- Implement and oversee consistent best fundraising practices in data and list management, gift acknowledgement, reporting, donor recognition, etc.
- At least five years of professional nonprofit fundraising (or directly applicable) experience, with track record of success in setting and meeting ambitious revenue goals
- Extensive experience in negotiating strategic and/or marketing partnerships with established institutions
- Proven record of soliciting and closing five- and six-figure gifts from major donors, foundations or corporations, or directly applicable fund development experience
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken) and highly-developed interpersonal skills; ability to lead meetings and presentations with authority
- Ability to generate consensus, enthusiasm, and investment by others
- Understanding of fundraising best practices, concepts, and techniques, including prospect research, cultivation, solicitation, negotiation, and closing gifts
- Strength in multi-tasking, goal-setting, prioritization and project management
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, highly-accountable role
- Familiarity with a donor database/CRM platform (such as Salesforce or The Raiser’s Edge)
- B.A./B.S. degree or higher, or equivalent work experience
- Deep knowledge of, and interest in, the business of fashion and related sectors (beauty, home, digital), including a working knowledge of wholesale, retail, and direct-to-consumer companies
- Experience working with emerging HNW entrepreneurs
- Extensive experience in creating and negotiating marketing partnerships
- MBA or J.D. degree
- Nonprofit board experience
To apply, please email your resume to [email protected] with a thoughtful cover note detailing how your background and skills will enable you to be successful in this position. Please include your name and “Senior Officer” in the subject line of your email. Inquiries that do not include a relevant cover letter will not be considered.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. The YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund
- 1501 Broadway, Suite 2001
- New York, NY 10036
- Phone: 212.278.0008