ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
WITNESS believes in the power of effective civic media to protect human rights and drive social change. As advocates and visual storytellers, we know the power of media and technology to amplify marginalized voices, hold abusers accountable, and catalyze movements. We are a global hub of innovative problem-solvers committed to maximizing the potential of the 21st century’s most powerful tools for defending human rights.
For the past 26 years, we have supported activists in more than 100 countries and built trusted networks with grassroots communities, lawyers, and technology platforms – ceaselessly innovating to accelerate human rights and maximize civic participation. We are at a pivotal moment where we have the opportunity to exponentially expand our influence and reach, and are building a dynamic communications team to help lead the way
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a member of the Finance Team, the Junior Accountant performs a wide range of integral fiscal and departmental duties under the direction of the Senior Accountant.
- Create, process and import General Journal entries
- Reconcile accounts, subledgers, and databases to the General Ledger
- Book payroll, fringe benefits, deposits, online transactions, and credit card transactions as well as other sales and donations
- Process Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable transactions, including the generation and tracking of invoices
- Review and prepare journal entries for all grant related activities; track receipts and create grant release entries
- Process payments in Accounting system, including check payments, ACH, and wire transfer payments
- Process and reconcile expense reports (Advance Reconciliations, Credit Card Reconciliations, Reimbursement Requests)
- Prepare and transfer batches from the Concur system to Blackbaud’s Financial Edge General Ledger. Make adjustments as needed
- Reconcile monthly bank statements
- Create amortization schedules for capital assets; allocate payments between interest and principal portions
- Retrieve monthly bills and statements online, and process as needed
- With the Senior Accountant, conduct new and ongoing training for finance onboarding for new staff; and support local and regionally based staff on updates in financial policies
- Assist staff with Concur expense reports, advance and reimbursement request and reconciliations
- Create departmental, program and project reports for budget tracking purposes
- Update Cashflow report monthly basis
- Update Chart of Accounts
- Assist Senior Accountant with completion of all monthly, quarterly, and annual reports including departmental, program, project, and grant reports
- Assist for completion of annual Form 990
- Assist of the preparation for annual audit and funder specific audits
- Maintain departmental records and systems
- Other duties as assigned
- Finance Team
- External Relationships
- All Staff
Reports to: Senior Accountant
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or a related field. In lieu of relevant degree, additional work experience (3 years+ will be accepted). U.S. bachelor’s degree (or its foreign equivalent) are both accepted.
- 3-5 years experiences in accounting, financial management, or business, preferably at a non-profit organization
- Knowledge of GAAP
- High level of proficiency with the entire MS Office suite, especially Excel
- Experience with financial accounting software
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, flexibility, and ability to work collaboratively
- Strong interest, background, and/or work experience in human rights advocacy or media/technology for social change; demonstrated commitment to social justice and WITNESS’ values and mission
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge and/or Concur
START DATE: Immediate
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
TITLE: Junior Accountant
SALARY: Commensurate with experience, with an excellent benefits package including generous vacation package
How to Apply:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to jobs[@]witness.org with the subject line “Junior Accountant” [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant.
We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
Using video and technology to protect and defend Human Rights
- 80 Hanson Place, 5th Floor
- Brooklyn, NY 11217