President and CEO
About the Waterfront Alliance
The Waterfront Alliance is a civic organization that brings together a diverse coalition of more than 1,100 stakeholders with ties to the New York–New Jersey waterways. Founded in 2007, our mission is to inspire and effect resilient, revitalized, and accessible coastlines for all communities. Key programs and advocacy areas include climate resilience, public access to the waterfront, the working waterfront, and climate education. This year, we have launched a multi-year campaign for regional resilience, to identify and advocate for our region’s most urgent resilience investments and policy changes.
We seek a successor to our first President and CEO, who over a 13-year term has built the Waterfront Alliance from a start-up to a vibrant organization. The successor will provide broad leadership, strategic vision, and management oversight to a team of nine full-time and two part-time staff members, and will grow the current annual operating budget of about $2M. The next President and CEO will join a robust organization with a clear and compelling mission, an active and engaged 20-member board of trustees, and established programs guided by a well-defined five-year strategic plan (currently in year two).
Classification: Fulltime, exempt
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Board of Trustees
- Identify emerging trends affecting our region and develop programs, strategies, and communication tactics to position the organization to meet challenges and capitalize on opportunities that promote our mission, strategic direction, and funding goals.
- Provide strong leadership and direction to staff.
- Collaborate with the board and senior leadership to ensure the goals and objectives of the strategic plan are being met.
- With the director of development, drive the overarching fundraising strategy and related activities to support and grow the organization’s annual budget.
- Grow reserve fund over time to ensure continued organizational sustainability.
- Serve as an articulate and effective spokesperson for the organization, both in person and through penning op-eds, letters to the editor, meetings, public testimony, etc.
- Build and maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders including institutional and individual funders, government contacts, and community partners.
- Actively support the board chair and governance committee in identifying, recruiting, and engaging new board members.
- In concert with the board treasurer and chief operating officer, lead the annual budgeting process and provide regular financial oversight.
Required Qualifications and Attributes
- Advanced degree preferred, Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experienced leader with a minimum of 10 years senior management experience.
- Proven track record in leading and sustaining significant fundraising initiatives
- Natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Strong organizational leadership skills, with an ability to articulate and execute a clear and inspiring vision.
- Strong critical thinking skills and track record of building strategy, identifying solutions, and addressing organizational issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to coach and support the staff’s career growth.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and nonprofit salary scales. Waterfront Alliance offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; Flexible Spending Account for medical and transit; life insurance; 401K retirement plan with employer match; generous paid time off; and more.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to [email protected] The subject should indicate “President and CEO Search.” Applications will be received on a rolling basis. All applications will be treated as confidential.
Principals only. No phone calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Waterfront Alliance encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com