About the Waterfront Alliance
The Waterfront Alliance is a civic organization that brings together a diverse coalition of more than 1,100 Alliance Partners with ties to the New York–New Jersey waterways. Founded in 2007, our mission is to inspire and effect resilient, revitalized, and accessible coastlines for all communities. Key programs and advocacy areas include climate resilience, public access to the waterfront, the working waterfront, and climate education.
About the Position
The development associate supports all areas of fundraising, including gift processing, database management, institutional and individual funders, and special events. The associate works closely with the Director of Development and President and CEO to provide the support required to meet the annual revenue goals of the organization. Additionally, the role collaborates with program and communications teams to ensure seamless integration of fundraising priorities across organizational goals and objectives.
Classification: Fulltime, non-exempt
Salary and Benefits: Salary is $46,000–$50,000. Waterfront Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurances; life insurance; 401K retirement plan with employer match; commuter and FSA benefits, paid time off, professional development opportunities, and more.
Location: New York, NY, with a generous telecommuting policy.
Reports to: Director of Development
- Supports the day-to-day operations of the development department, including gift processing and accounts receivable, database management, scheduling and preparing briefing documents for donor meetings, tracking and supporting donor follow-up, preparing mailings, drafting and setting up emails, supporting administration of board of directors development committee, etc.
- Supports a growing portfolio of foundation funders ranging from small family foundations to large institutional funders by maintaining grants calendar of application and report due dates, conducting grant research, preparing proposal attachments, and drafting and submitting grant proposals and reports
- Supports identification, outreach, and coordination with corporate sponsors for annual conference and gala
- Manages end of year and other fundraising appeals, including setting timeline, preparing mailing lists, and coordinating printing and mailing, as well as supporting digital fundraising campaigns
- Supports events team with fundraising and donor cultivation events, including preparing mailing lists, tracking event income, coordination of sponsor benefits, etc.
- Prepares PPT presentations, invitations, and donor updates using templates
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by the director of development
Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes
- One to three years of relevant fundraising experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
- High level of initiative, ability to work independently; autonomous and thoughtful approach to problem solving
- Proficient with CRM and e-marketing tools (platforms like MailChimp, Eventbrite, Salesforce, Canva); able to create presentations and slideshows in PowerPoint
- Strong desire for continuous growth and improvement on an individual and organizational level
- Knowledge of or desire to learn more about waterfront, sustainable design, urban planning, and/or environmental issues
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter that illustrates qualifications relevant to this role, resume, and short writing sample (no more than three pages) as a single PDF to [email protected] The subject should indicate “Development Associate.” Applicants must be legally authorized to work fulltime in the U.S. and should not require employment sponsorship now or in the future. Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Waterfront Alliance encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.
- 256 W. 36th Street, 11th Floor
- New York, New York 10018
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com