Staff Attorney, Immigration Project
VOLS harnesses the power of New York City’s legal community and neighborhood-based groups to provide free, civil legal services when and where they are needed most.
The VOLS Immigration Project offers support for immigrant students and young adults to help them pursue higher education, employment, and permanent residency so that they can pursue their dreams and advocate for themselves, their families, and the community. We offer high school and college students free legal assistance to obtain immigration status and also provide “know your rights” information to students and their families. VOLS also recruits, trains, and mentors pro bono lawyers to help these students overcome their immigration issues and give them a chance to succeed.
The Staff Attorney will be tasked with a) representing individuals before US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Family Court and Immigration Court; b) training and mentoring pro bono lawyers at law firms; c) providing immigration legal support to community based organizations and their members through legal clinics and community education efforts.
● Be responsible for a caseload of immigration matters including but not limited to SIJS, DACA initials and renewals, advance parole applications, citizenship applications, family-based petitions, U and T Visas, asylum applications, VAWA and cases before EOIR;
● Train and mentor pro bono lawyers at law firms and corporations including referrals from the Children’s School- and Hospital-based Projects;
● Represent VOLS at community or school meetings and conduct off-site intakes at legal clinics, including during evening hours and limited weekends;
● Work collaboratively with team members and participate in team meetings;
● Reports to the Immigration Project Director;
● J.D. and must be admitted to practice law in New York State;
● Minimum of 2-3 years of providing direct legal services in the area of immigration law as well as guardianship/custody proceedings in Family Court;
● Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice;
● Excellent research, writing, analytical, and communication skills preferred;
● Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred;
● Ability to work well with diverse groups and individuals including people in crisis, low-income immigrants, youth, parents, teachers and schools administrators;
● Ability to work independently and under pressure;
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to [email protected] with the subject line “Staff Attorney, Immigration Project.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone inquiries, please. For more information, please go to www.volsprobono.org.
VOLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, sex, religion, or any other prohibited category.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and within the parameters of VOLS’ compensation scale. VOLS offers an excellent benefits package, including health, life, and disability insurance, a retirement plan to which VOLS contributes, and the option to contribute to a 403(b) plan. We also provide 25 days of paid vacation and 12 days of paid sick leave annually.
Volunteers of Legal Service
- 40 Worth Street, Suite 820
- New York, NY 10013
- Phone: 3475215740