Development & Communications Coordinator
|Job Category:||Communications, Development|
|Salary Range:||$49,000— $52,500|
About Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS)
For nearly 40 years, VOLS has provided free, civil legal services to New Yorkers with limited resources, including seniors, veterans, unemployed workers, immigrant youth, children and their families, mothers in prison or jail, and small business owners. VOLS’ staff of 21, including 12 attorneys and law graduates, works with volunteer lawyers from over 70 law firms/companies to exponentially increase our impact. We partner with 150 community groups to ensure that our services are accessible and address local needs.
About the Role
VOLS is seeking a Development & Communications Coordinator to support VOLS’fundraising efforts and spearhead external communications to multiple stakeholders. Key responsibilities will include the management of external communications and marketing through multiple channels; support for written communications with diverse funders; and support for donor relations, including through events and VOLS’ annual giving campaign. The ideal candidate is a creative thinker with high expectations for their work and has strong communication and problem-solving skills. The person in this role will report directly to the Director of Development & Communications and work closely with other members of the Leadership Team, as well as the VOLS finance team.
- Create, design, and produce external-facing communications/content for VOLS’ social media, website, newsletter, and press pitches in line with VOLS’ mission, brand, and values.
- Maintain editorial calendar, collaborating with program staff to identify content ideas and opportunities.
- Draft and update copy for website and consult with appropriate program staff to ensure that information and descriptions online are current and accurate.
- Manage social media accounts, which currently include Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and . Social media management will include caption writing, graphic design, posting (tagging, stories, feed, and re-posts), commenting, and direct messaging.
- Develop, create, and distribute periodic e-mail newsletters.
- Develop and maintain materials to market the organization, including but not limited to press packets, program brochures, PowerPoint presentations, and Annual Report.
- Work with the Director of Development & Communications to identify media opportunities and implement campaigns around key issues and events.
- Manage website monitoring and maintenance.
- Provide regular updates on analytics from social media, newsletter, and website engagement to determine success at reaching target audiences.
- Related assignments as appropriate.
- Assist in the development, execution, and communication of events, including annual Gala, thought leadership events, VOLS Pro Bono Advocates Council annual event, athletic events, and smaller donor cultivation events throughout the year.
- Assist in the development, execution, and communication of annual fundraising campaigns, including the annual appeal’s content, design, printing, and mailing.
- Provide support for fundraising campaigns and grant applications and reports, as needed.
Related assignments as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 3-5 years of experience in communications, journalism/media, creative and/or marketing and development or fundraising support. Experience at a nonprofit a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in creative graphic design for digital mediums.
- Strong fluency with public-facing communications and content creation — social media and website management, press pitches, etc.
- , capable of communicating complex concepts clearly and persuasively to diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and prioritize appropriately.
- Experience in WordPress, Photoshop, Canva, Constant Contact, MS Teams, and MS PowerPoint or similar programs. Google Ad and SEO maximization experience a plus.
- Experience with organizing and executing events, particularly for cultivation and fundraising.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Willingness to work occasional evening or weekend hours related to events.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- Passion for the mission of providing high-quality, free legal services to low-income New Yorkers.
The position will be hybrid after the first six months. The position will be fully in person during the six- month probationary period. After, employees may work remotely up to eight days per month.
Please note that VOLS requires that all employees demonstrate proof of vaccination against COVID-19 and a current booster dose, unless provided a reasonable accommodation pursuant to applicable federal, state, and local statutes.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary range for this position is $49,000— $52,500 for candidates with 3-5 years of experience and will be determined by a collective bargaining agreement and be commensurate with relevant experience as defined by that agreement. VOLS offers an excellent benefits package, including health, life and disability insurance, a retirement plan to which VOLS contributes and the option to contribute to a 403(b) plan. We provide 25 days of paid vacation, 12 days of paid sick leave, and 3 personal days annually.
How to apply
Please email a cover letter and resume, to [email protected] with the subject line “Development & Communications Coordinator.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone or email inquiries, please.
VOLS is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate race, ethnicity, nationality, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation, biological sex, gender identity/expression, family status, military service or any other basis prohibited by law. We strive to build and maintain a diverse staff, and we encourage candidates of all backgrounds/identities to apply for this position.
Volunteers of Legal Service
- 40 Worth Street
- New York, New York 10013
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com