Position: Development & Communications Associate
Location(s): Upper Manhattan
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full Time – Non-Exempt
Work Model: Hybrid
The Violence Intervention Program (VIP) partners with Latinx communities to end gender-based violence. Created as a grassroots response to intimate partner violence and sexual assault, VIP has always centered survivors in its leadership and has worked to create a community of staff that reflects the rich national, ethnic and racial diversity of the communities it serves. VIP operates a 24-hour hotline, three residential shelter and housing programs, three community-based social service programs, specialized economic justice, sexual violence and child and adolescent projects, and a robust community engagement team.
The Development & Communications Associate (DCA) will join VIP’s passionate and collaborative team to assist with all aspects of VIP’s fundraising activities and support the Executive Director. Working closely with development consultants, the DCA will collaborate with colleagues across the organization to fulfill this role.
This is a fantastic position for a growth-oriented individual who is passionate about nonprofit development and interested in opportunities to gain experience and exposure to all aspects of fundraising, donor data management, social media and online campaigns/communications, and event planning. We are a small team, and it is essential that the DCA possess a ‘can-do’ attitude and be willing to roll up their sleeves and work efficiently, accountably, flexibly, and autonomously to meet our goals. This position engages the full team at VIP, including program staff, administrators, and the board of directors; being a team player and excellent communicator is key to success in this role.
Development // Donor Communications and Engagement
- Assisting in the execution of strategic fundraising efforts, including identifying, researching, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, corporate, and foundation prospects
- Assisting in the creation and distribution of all development communications via regular mail, email, and social media
- Responsible for timely gift acknowledgments/letters
- Researching individual and institutional prospects
- Supporting funding proposals and reports by coordinating attachments, obtaining signatures, and compiling resources
Database and Operations
- Administer donor database, ensure accurate capture of donor information and gift designations, and assist in an upcoming migration to Salesforce
- Generate prospect lists and donation reports, as requested
- Maintain development files, documents, and procedures needed for effective operations.
Special Events Support
- Assist with planning, logistics, and follow up of all development events, as needed (whether in‐person or virtual), including our annual benefit
- Coordinate production of event materials, generate donor lists, create and manage communications strategies and manage sponsor benefits/recognition
- Track sponsorship and ticket sales
- Manage talent/honoree logistics and coordinate vendors
- Set up and maintain online event registration platforms.
- Provide general support to Executive Director including schedule/calendar management, drafting meeting agendas, taking minutes
- Support ED to prepare for board meetings, support board activities, and maintain board records/materials
- Other administrative tasks, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of nonprofit fundraising and/or administrative work experience, outside of degree program
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Familiarity with CRM/donor databases (e.g. Salesforce, Network for Good), a plus
- Fluency in both English and Spanish strongly preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to engage diverse audiences;
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment while remaining responsive to changing priorities are required
- Possess a genuine passion for VIP’s mission and strong collaborative skills
- Must have a commitment to gender, racial and economic justice and willingness to engage org-wide initiatives to promote equity
- Ability to operate office equipment such as computers, copy & fax machine, phone system, etc.
- Ability to lift at least 30 lbs. and travel via public transportation (post-pandemic)
- Must ensure agency, program, and client confidentiality at all times
All team members are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of VIP, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness to engage diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) initiatives within a culturally diverse environment. This position is expected to work at least 35 hours per week, with a flexible schedule for activities on nights and weekends, and can expect periods where overtime is required to meet work objectives. While this position may be largely remote, in-person presence at VIP’s office locations is expected intermittently.
Compensation & Benefits
- Full-time, non-exempt position, working 35 hours per week with annual wages of $50,000 – $55,000/year depending on experience.
- We cover 90% of the cost of medical (United Healthcare/Oxford), dental (Aetna) and vision (VSP) coverage for employee and spouse/children/family. Flexible Spending Accounts & Health Savings Accounts available.
- Paid Time Off program, 12 paid holidays, a mid-year and end-of-year office closure.
- Summer Friday schedule (optional)
- Commuter benefits (Mass Transit & Parking)
- 403b retirement plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Disability & Life Insurance
- Monthly health & wellness activities
- Team appreciation days
Note: As a contractor of The City of New York, all Violence Intervention Program employees, interns and volunteers must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons.
Click here to apply: https://violenceinterventionprogram.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=39&source=aWQ9Mjc%3D