About Trickle Up:
Trickle Up is a global poverty alleviation nonprofit with a mission to partner with women in extreme poverty to build economic opportunity and drive inclusion. In partnership with governments and local, national, and international organizations, we reach underserved women in remote, rural areas with livelihood programming. Together, we equip women with tools and support as they forge their own resilient pathways out of extreme poverty for themselves, their families, and their communities.
The Accounting Manager will be a strategic thought partner and report to the Vice President of Finance and Operations (CFO). This is a tremendous opportunity for a hands-on finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a growing, high-impact global organization with finance and operations staff in three countries. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, execution-oriented financial manager with a commitment to working in a mission-driven organization. The Accounting Manager will lead and develop efforts to support accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, and strategic planning, and will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision-making and financial operations as Trickle Up expands its global operations, enhances its quality programming and builds capacity. This position interfaces with our regional offices in Guatemala and India virtually and with program managers in the United States.
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for oversight of all accounting and reporting operations. This position will lead the day-to-day financial operations of a $7 million budget and supervise a team of one staff member currently located in the United States and multiple staff members across three field offices overseas, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants accounting. Ensure procedures are optimal to support effective program implementation and conduct successful audits.
- Provides leadership and support to the overall financial review process including designing presentations and reports, variance analysis, and forecasting future results in conjunction with the Vice President of Finance and Operations and in coordination with various department heads and regions.
- Manage accounting staff and develop/ implement training programs to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Develop and implement training programs to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Prepare GAAP basis reports, complete with the balance sheet, income statement, indirect cash flow statement, and nonprofit principles of unrestricted and temporarily restricted income and revenues.
- Manage accounting software package (MIP), including maximizing the system functionality and ensuring data integrity. Ensure connectivity overseas and that currency modules are implemented and working.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, program budgets, and actual expenditures. Assist in establishing, documenting, and maintaining internal control policies and procedures.
- Perform reconciliation of development/fundraising reports from the various units, including Individual Learn and Business Development.
- Liaise externally with Donors, Vendors, Funders, and Banking personnel as required for fiscal matters, including but not limited to following up on receivables, providing information on the status of payments, providing funders with information as required, and communicating with banks.
- Prepare and work closely with external auditors to ensure timely completion of all tax returns and other compliance documents, prepare relevant schedules for audit processes, and ensure timely completion of adjusting journal entries.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, program budgets, and actual expenditures. Oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants; to support program operations.
- Assist Trickle Up’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
Policies & Procedures
- Implement and update all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress.
- Manage the monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting cycles of the organization in coordination with our external Kiwi (CPA) consultants, including but not limited to, oversight of accounts receivable & payable, general ledger review, and the creation/updating of financial reporting materials.
- Monitor progress under all financial plans and budgets and keep the senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Monitor grant spending, and monthly allocations, and provide financial grant reports to funders.
- Oversee the organization’s administration of risk management procedures.
- Assist with client-requested projects and other ad hoc requests.
- Minimum of a BA in Accounting or Finance; CPA or MBA preferred
- CPA preferred, not required
- Seven years of not-for-profit accounting and finance experience
- Three years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting and GAAP
- Grants management experience as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate, and foundation grants. Substantial experience in managing complex foundation and government grants
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing accounting software installations and managing relationships with accounting software vendors and consultants; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Knowledge of MIP Accounting Software for the Cloud or similar accounting systems
- Experience working with international financial operations and multiple currencies
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce, with multiple cultural outlooks and local perspectives, some not fully fluent in English
- Excel at details, manage and organize multiple projects, work independently and as part of a team, and can set priorities.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse global team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills
Compensation and Benefits:
As this is a full-time position, we offer a competitive salary and complete benefits program, including comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits.
To be considered, click the link and follow the instructions to upload your cover letter and resume. A cover letter is required. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until filled. We are sorry we are unable to entertain phone calls related to this posting.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which include criminal records checks and other reference-check databases Trickle Up participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this initiative, as part of the referencing process, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment during employment. By applying, you confirm your understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Trickle Up requires that employees be vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to visiting or working in a Trickle Up office or conducting any travel or in-person meetings on behalf of our organization. If you are hired for this position, Trickle Up will require proof that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
Trickle Up is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and extend equal opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential job functions.