Assistant to Executive Director and General Counsel
|Job Sectors:||Human Services|
Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has unlocked the limitless potential of more than 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities. Each year, thousands of children enjoy outdoor summer adventures through visits with volunteer host families along the East Coast and Southern Canada and at The Fund’s six overnight camps in upstate New York. Fresh Air children also participate in year-round leadership and educational enrichment programs. The Fresh Air Fund is an independent, not-for-profit organization.
The Fresh Air Fund is seeking a highly organized, detail-oriented individual to serve as the Assistant to the Executive Director (ED) and the General Counsel (GC). This position reports directly to ED and GC but offers a unique opportunity to work across the organization with all departments, as well as on special projects and assignments.
- Provide all administrative support for the ED including coordinating meeting schedules and travel arrangements, and completing expense reports;
- Provide administrative support to newly created role of General Counsel for which search is in progress;
- Manage the ED’s calendar and the scheduling of and preparation for internal and external meetings for the ED, including creating and compiling agendas, gathering materials, ensuring talking points and background for meetings are prepared in advance;
- Draft and/or edit correspondence including letters, emails, and other documents on behalf of the ED to ensure excellence in all communication from FAF;
- Track and help support ED’s deadlines based on agreed-upon priorities;
- Ensure follow‐up on letters, emails, and other mailed correspondence, and reply on behalf of the ED when appropriate;
- Maintain confidential physical and electronic files and records for the ED and FAF
- Manage all aspects of three annual Board meetings and several committee meetings; create and/or compile agendas and supporting material for Board meetings, including creating presentations, memorandums, and handouts; room scheduling, conference call scheduling, refreshments, and all materials;
- Oversee the acknowledgement by ED of special gifts, memorial gifts and honorary gifts, up to $1M;
- Serve as a contributing member of the staff by attending meetings and serving on related project teams;
- Support FAF Departments during moments of need and support, including but not limited to preparation for summer season, or during summer season, or with/on a special project;
- Liaise with all internal departments to ensure that ED’s initiatives are understood by all employees;
Critical for this role is a candidate who is a team player who has a passion for the work of FAF and enjoys learning about all aspects of the organization. The candidate should project excellence and professionalism in attire, language, attitude, and demeanor.
- BA/BS degree;
- Strong administrative experience;
- Legal administrative or research experience not required, but willingness to learn such skills as needed;
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and willingness to learn other computer systems as needed;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as the ability to prioritize;
- Sense of maturity and professionalism in representing FAF and the ED with high-profile Board members, donors and guests;
- Strong writing and editorial skills, for ability to write and edit presentations, letters, and organizational materials;
- Must be detail-oriented, able to work quickly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Must be able to effectively multi-task and prioritize projects and not lose focus of short term and long term goals of the ED and GC; and
- Occasional evening and weekend work required as necessary
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Please e-mail resumes and cover letters directly to Wendy Flanagan, Interim Executive Director at [email protected] with Assistant to the Executive Director in the subject line. No calls please.
The Fresh Air Fund
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com