Director of Organizing and Education
|Job Category:||Communications, Development, Programs/Services|
|Job Sectors:||Education, Other|
|Salary Range:||58,000 to 60,000|
Director of Organizing and Education
Tenants & Neighbors is looking for a Director of Organizing and Education. The ideal candidate is an experienced tenant organizer who can provide leadership and oversight of Tenants’ & Neighbors’ organizing, education, leadership development, and advocacy work.
In collaboration with the Executive Director, they set an inspiring vision, strategy, and roadmap for improving and expanding the organization and play a leadership role in enacting the organization’s theory of change, community organizing strategy, setting long-term and short-term goals for T&N’s organizing and advocacy initiatives, and developing strategies for achieving those goals, and aligning the organizing team to these priorities. This process should involve other staff members and active member leaders, and be informed by an understanding of the broad direction that the Board and ED have set in the strategic plan, financial considerations, desired brand identity, and desired role in the field.
- Own the development of strong, longer-term strategic plans for our field organizing and education programs, including on-the-ground building organizing, leadership development for members/leaders and, coordinating tenant turnout for actions, and lobbying efforts.
- Lead and champion team members – including the direct supervision of organizers– supporting professional development and growth, giving feedback, and ensuring project work is of high quality and high impact.
- Organize, manage and lead our involvement in collaborative efforts with working groups, coalitions, and campaigns.
- Build relationships with members, allies, and other stakeholders to gain community support for Tenants’ & Neighbors’ advocacy efforts and to solicit input to guide our future work.
- oversee digital content, messaging, and production strategy to ensure it’s aligned with utilizing email, SMS, digital ads, and social media to communicate to millions of members and partners.
- Use and innovate with our technology tools. Adeptly use our suite of online organizing tools to promote member engagement. We use tools like CiviCRM, Twilio, VAN, ThruText/ThruTalk, etc.
- Track important public policy, legislative and political developments that may impact Tenants’ & Neighbors’ work and assist the ED with the tracking and reporting of lobbying activities.
- Track field activity, including member participation in actions, and prepare reports on activities, as requested. long with co-workers to help maintain and enhance member and contact database for organizational/field needs and actions that advance T&N’s goals.
- Undertake activities to recruit, retain and increase membership.
- With ED, identify and implement strategies to ensure our programs are meeting their goals and objectives and are the most effective use of the organization’s resources.
- Assist with fundraising, reporting to funders, and communicating the impact of the organization’s various programs to key stakeholders as needed.
- Assist with other tasks as needed.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends
- At least 5 years of experience and proven skills and deep experience in strategy for winning campaigns, program development, management, organizing, and digital campaigning.
- Knowledge of New York City, State, and Federal affordable housing policy.
- Management. Experience with supervision and evaluation of staff, creating project/work plans. Highly motivated, self-directed manager.
- Experimental and strategic thinking. No matter what the challenge is in front of you, you’ll break it down and try problem-solving with a mix of traditional and non-traditional approaches. Ability to communicate policy & high-level strategic plan into actionable steps for the organizing team.
- Strong writing and verbal skills. The ability to communicate information clearly is fundamental to this role, especially via reports, campaign plans, and other strategy-related documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. You are confident in interacting with other staff and have the ability to build strong working relationships with members and external partners, organizations, and consultants.
- Top-notch organization skills. Managing multiple priorities, timeliness, and attention to detail is key.
- . Familiarity with the CiviCRM database and digital organizing tools would be a plus.
- Spanish language proficiency is strongly preferred.
- A strong commitment to social justice & housing rights.
· Salary range: $58 – $60,000 commensurate with experience
· Paid vacation, personal time, holidays, and sick time
· Employer Paid Health, Dental, and Vision insurance.
· Monthly MetroCard
About Tenants & Neighbors:
Location: The position is based out of our New York City office with the flexibility to work hybrid.
Tenants & Neighbors (T&N) is an equal opportunity employer. T&N prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.
Tenants & Neighbors
- 255 West 36th Street, Suite 505
- New York, NY 10018
- United States
- Phone: 212-608-4320
To apply for this job please visit www.tandn.org.