Director of Development
|Job Sectors:||Arts & Culture|
TADA!’s vision is that all young people grow up feeling successful, creative, confident, accepted, and accepting of themselves. Through the ability of people learning to express themselves well we can break down barriers of racism and inequality and create positive, active citizens.
TADA! Youth Theater’s mission since 1984 has been to provide young people from different social, racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds with musical theater programs that inspire them to learn, be creative, and think differently through high-quality productions, positive youth development, and education programs. TADA! is a unique, Drama Desk award-winning nonprofit youth theater that produces original musicals for children, teens, and family audiences. TADA! offers a free, year-round, pre-professional training and a positive youth development program for the Resident Youth Ensemble known as RYET (ages 8-18); musical theater classes/camps for the public; as well as musical theater residencies in NYC schools and community centers. Through TADA!’s high-quality work, young people’s self-confidence and creativity are enhanced. They also develop advanced skills in leadership, communication, responsibility, collaboration, and problem-solving – skills that help with growing up and are essential to their success both in school and in life.
● Musical Theater Passion
● Unique Programming
● Artistic Excellence
● Empowerment and Leadership
● Arts for All
● Culture of Growth
● Nurture Creativity
● Fun Please visit our website, for individual descriptions of our values.
Purpose of the Development Department: To support, communicate, and further the mission of TADA! Youth Theater through raising both earned and unearned income that supports TADA! institutionally as well as all of TADA!’s programming in the education, ensemble, and theater departments.
Reports to: Executive and Producing Artistic Director
● With the Board and Leadership Team, significantly grow the organization’s contributed income and visibility through:
○ Increase engagement and giving of current donors
○ Identify, cultivate, solicit, and manage new donors (individual and institutional)
○ Create and implement a strong strategic plan that involves and leverages the resources and talents of all board members, staff, alumni, current parents of students and RYET members, audiences and other key volunteers and committee members
○ Support, communicate, and further the mission of TADA!
● Create, execute, and maintain an annual plan and budget for the Development Department which includes individual fundraising and cultivation, institutional fundraising, government support, and special events. This involves some reimagining, rethinking and driving of TADA!’s contributed revenue streams as well as getting support for new and specific programs and initiatives.
● Serve as an ambassador, working to build and maintain strong relationships with key funders, community leaders, education and ensemble families, alumni and their parents, board members, and other relationships critical to the fundraising efforts and growth of the TADA! community
● With the Marketing Department, increase awareness and visibility of TADA!’s mission and impact as well as it’s unique programs (e.g., arts education programs, Resident Youth Ensemble of TADA! (RYET), Arts for All, AMP, etc.)
● Design, manage, and constantly enhance TADA!’s process for an integrated approach to fund development and philanthropy that specifically targets foundations, corporations, and individuals (including major gifts and planned giving and in the near future a capital campaign) so that short- and long-term revenue streams can be established
● Design, implement and maintain a communications plan to ensure stewardship and donor/prospect engagement are maximized.
● Define performance measures (with the Executive and Producing Artistic Director) for fundraising success and monitor/report results on a regular basis. This includes developing and managing an annual Development budget and cash-flow that includes revenue and expense projections by contribution category to assure annual goals are achieved.
● Provide vision, oversight and hands-on work on fundraising events
● Hire, train, oversee, and manage Development staff, consultants, and volunteers
● Work closely with the Board of Directors:
○ To develop, increase, and support their yearly plan and commitment
○ Attend and report at Board and Committee Meetings
○ Support, strategize, and leverage their time, talent, resources, and connections to support the organization’s fundraising strategy
○ Lead the Board’s Fundraising ad-hoc Committee
○ With the Board Development Committee and Executive and Producing Artistic Director, identify, recruit, and onboard new Board members
● Serve and contribute as a member of TADA!’s leadership team (e.g., attend meetings, share insight and ideas on key challenges and opportunities, serve as a TADA! ambassador to create an inclusive, supportive work environment and culture, etc.)
● Create and distribute TADA!’s Annual Report — gather information from all departments and work with designer
● Works closely with the Director of Finance & Administration on grant proposal budgets & reporting, the annual audit process, 990, CHAR500, etc.
The ideal candidate should have:
● Passion for, commitment to, and is fully aligned with TADA!’s mission and vision, and knowledge of needs in communities served by TADA!
● Strong strategic vision and agility, skilled at planning and problem solving, and a record of success managing people as well as success at working independently
● A successful track record in fundraising – increasing earned income from individuals, institutions and government
● Be diplomatic, and able to negotiate and navigate change graciously, while remaining clear, decisive, proactive and fair
● Be a self-starter, able to thrive in a fast-paced institutional environment
● Outstanding written and oral communication skills with diverse audiences, internally and externally
● Ability to manage and prioritize among multiple simultaneous projects
● Positive attitude and the ability to build rapport with diverse colleagues & external stakeholders
● Prior use of Salesforce a plus and working knowledge of data analysis
● Solid experience with budget development and oversight
● High energy and be a “doer” with a willingness to develop and execute a variety of activities ranging from the day-to-day to the broadly strategic. Able to be hands-on doing work as well as a leader guiding others
● A commitment and deep interest in diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of TADA!’s programming and initiatives
TADA! Youth Theater is committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of our vastly diverse youth in our Ensemble program and school programs. Priority will be given to candidates who are dedicated to anti-racism and share our mission and vision above. BIPOC candidates, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply. COVID-19 Vaccination required. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status. We are actively looking to expand our staff with BIPOC candidates.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] and include the words Director of Development in the subject line. Salary range $90,000 – $100,000 plus benefits including health and life insurance, vision and dental plans, flexible spending, optional Aflac, optional 403(b), and paid vacation, sick and personal days.
TADA! Youth Theater
- New York, New York 10001
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com