Manager of Communications
|Job Category:||Administrative, Communications, Development, Other|
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement, Human Services, Other|
Job Title: Manager of Communications
Location: New York, NY (Harlem)
Type: Full Time, Exempt, In-Person
StreetSquash was founded in Harlem in September 1999 as the second squash and education program in the United States. A comprehensive youth enrichment program, StreetSquash combines academic tutoring, squash instruction, community service, college preparation, leadership development, and mentoring for young people ages 11-24. What began as an after-school program with 24 middle school students and two staff members has expanded to serve 400 participants from 6th grade through college graduation, and entry into the workforce. Learn more about us at www.streetsquash.org.
About the Position
StreetSquash is seeking a passionate and hard-working Manager of Communications to join our talented team of professionals in our Development and Communications department. The Manager of Communications will be primarily responsible for implementing strategies for all external and internal communications and events marketing. The ideal candidate for this job will be skilled in multitasking and operate effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
For a more experienced candidate, there is an opportunity to lead the Development and Communications department.
· Coordinate and implement a communications work plan that includes the curation, production, and dissemination of both internal and external content via web, social media, email channels, newsletters, and reports
· Manage design and production of all marketing materials and messaging for fundraising events and initiatives, key programs and campaigns
· Develop and execute social media campaigns across all social media channels, creating and curating posts and digital design assets accordingly
· Schedule and manage all photo shoots and organize all photos collected throughout the year to ensure that the program is accurately represented through this medium
· Coordinate design, production, and distribution of all materials to support development efforts such as annual impact report and event and program brochures
· Write and manage the content for StreetSquash’s website and newsletters
· Foster relationships with advocates and key persons
· Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership
· Track the effectiveness of communication and make recommendations for improvement
· Develop, organize and execute public relations events
· Offer meaningful support during all special events and fundraisers
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field (essential)
· A minimum of 2 years experience in communications strategy development
· Proven social media, web design, and content production expertise
· Outstanding organizational and planning abilities
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills
· Upbeat, can-do attitude with a passion for taking initiative and strategic thinking
· Comfort with making decisions independently, combined with an ability to work collaboratively
· Sensitivity to different cultures and communities; demonstrated ability to work well with diverse or marginalized populations; can bring in allies across diverse communities
· Highly computer literate with capability in email, Google Suite, and related business and communication tools
· Strategic and creative mindset
· Meticulous attention to detail
Hours/Work Location: The Manager of Communications will be expected to work a 40-hour week, which is generally completed Monday-Friday. The Manager of Communications should also be prepared to work some evenings and weekends, when there are events or projects that require non-traditional work hours. StreetSquash is currently operating in person at the S.L. Green StreetSquash Center on 115th St. in Harlem.
Vaccination: StreetSquash has implemented a policy requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated and submit proof as to their vaccination status in order to work on-site. Therefore, all new hires, prior to their start date, will be required to: (1) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e., receive both doses of a two-dose vaccine or a single dose of a one-dose vaccine) and provide the Organization with a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination card, or (2) or receive an accommodation exempting them from the vaccination requirement. StreetSquash will keep any information about an employee or applicant’s vaccination status confidential in accordance with, and to the extent required by, applicable law.
Compensation & Benefits: StreetSquash offers competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Full benefits include employer-supported health coverage, monthly MetroCard or equivalent transit stipend, monthly cell phone stipend, FSA, paid federal holidays, 20 days of paid vacation plus a 5 day holiday break between Christmas Eve and New Years Day, 40 hours of sick time, 3 personal days (after the first 90 days), and 401k contributions (after 1 year of employment).
Application Process: Interested candidates must submit a targeted cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, how you heard about this opportunity, and why you are passionate about StreetSquash’s mission. (300 words maximum). Attach the letter and resume, addressed to the hiring committee at StreetSquash, and send to [email protected]. Interviews will be facilitated via phone, Zoom, and in person. Final applicants will be requested to consent to a pre-employment background check. A background check is required to extend a job offer.
- 40 West 116th Street
- New York, New York 10026
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com