Manager of College Access & Success & Alumni Support (CASAS)
|Job Sectors:||Education, Health, Human Services, Other|
|Salary Range:||$70,000 - $75,000|
StreetSquash was founded in Harlem in September 1999 as the second squash and education program in the United States. A comprehensive youth enrichment program, StreetSquash combines academic tutoring, squash instruction, community service, college preparation, leadership development, and mentoring for young people ages 11-24. What began as an after-school program with 24 middle school students and two staff members has expanded to serve 400 participants from 6th grade through college graduation, and entry into the workforce. Learn more about us at www.streetsquash.org.
About the Position
StreetSquash is seeking a demonstrated leader to fill the Manager of College Access and Success and Alumni Support (CASAS) position. An ideal candidate will possess a passion for working with young people and driving an organization that supports participants on the path to high school graduation, post-secondary education and completion, and securing meaningful, self-sustaining employment. The Manager of CASAS will be expected to oversee and be present at weekday sessions until 6:30 pm and select special events potentially on weekends. This position reports to the Program Director (PD).
- Provide individualized support for cohorts of alumni in the second half of their academic experience including communicating with advisors and coaches, arranging tutoring, employment support, financial aid assistance, and visiting residential students on campus
- Network with other organizations and external services to refer students and families as necessary
- Work closely with CASAS team to meet the needs of high school students and alumni
- Work collaboratively with the Program Director, Executive Team, and CASAS team to resolve programmatic concerns
- Serve as a member of the senior leadership team to oversee the CASAS department, implement organizational plans, execute on defined strategies, and maintain a solution-focused approach as a leader within the organization
- Observe and participate daily in CASAS programming, maintaining a consistent presence with students and staff.
- Work closely with the Program Director to oversee development and implementation of CASAS programming to ensure consistency, high quality and mission alignment
- Work with the Program Director to ensure full participant enrollment and high attendance to achieve full maximum impact. Support recruitment efforts accordingly.
- Manage a team of 2 full-time direct service staff
- Assess staff strengths and provide regular, direct feedback regarding individual performance, areas for growth, and plans for improvement
- Support Program Director with academic staff talent management including hiring, evaluations, retention and promotions, and performance improvement plans
- Lead biweekly supervision meetings and department meetings
- Maintain consistent high standards for staff performance and program execution and hold them accountable for excellent programs on a daily basis
- Build positive staff culture and work environment
- Fulfill other responsibilities assigned by members of the executive management team
- Oversee department budget in conjunction with the PD
- Collaborate with the Manager of Operations & HR to ensure staff adherence to data management systems in order to generate accurate data and program insights
- Collaborate with the Development and Communications Department to support the creation of organizational collateral, partnership-building, program marketing and stewardship
- Ensure that the department tracks and analyzes participant enrollment data and trends for StreetSquash related to student persistence, success, graduations, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience in college access & retention, 2+ years of management experience
- 3+ years of professional work experience in career development, post-secondary success counseling, or related fields
- Knowledge of CUNY and SUNY systems and experience developing relationships with admissions and administrators at a wide range of colleges and universities
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong knowledge of academic advising, student retention initiatives, and a track record of exceeding job expectations
- Sensitivity to different cultures and communities; demonstrated ability to work well with diverse or marginalized populations; can bring in allies across diverse communities
- Valid driver’s license for travel
Qualifications & Experience
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based, youth and family development perspective
- Preferred knowledge of MBTI & STRONG +
- Preferred knowledge of People Grove
- Ability to understand program data and the purpose of its usage; use data to identify programmatic trends and develop responsive practices for improving programs
- Drive for success in efforts to achieve organization and departmental goals
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, program development and task facilitation
- Clear and compelling in both verbal and written communications, enjoys motivating a team around a common goal
- Proven ability to make good, proactive decisions in potentially emotionally-charged situations and/or in the absence of complete clarity; comfortable taking risks
- Passion for young people and enjoyment of spending time with them, coaching or tutoring them, and pushing them to set and achieve goals in all aspects of their lives
- Google Suite, Zoom, and Salesforce experience a plus, or demonstrated experience to learn new systems
- Other languages proficiency a plus
Commitment: StreetSquash values long-term, deep, impactful work with students. It takes years to cultivate relationships and staff retention is a critical component of organizational success. This is not a transitional role or a temporary stepping stone. Candidates should be prepared to commit for the long haul, just as we are committed to supporting our staff to develop and grow.
Compensation & Benefits: StreetSquash offers competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Salary is $70,000 to $75,000. Full benefits include employer-supported health coverage, monthly MetroCard or equivalent transit stipend, monthly cell phone stipend, FSA, paid federal holidays, 20 days of paid vacation plus 5-day holiday break, 40 hours of sick time, 3 personal days (after 3 months of employment), and 401k contributions (after 3 months of employment).
Vaccination: StreetSquash requires all employees to be fully vaccinated and submit proof of their vaccination status to work on-site. Therefore, before their start date, all new hires will be required to: (1) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide the organization with a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination card, or (2) or receive an accommodation exempting them from the vaccination requirement. StreetSquash will keep any information about an employee or applicant’s vaccination status confidential in accordance with, and to the extent required by, applicable law.
Application Process: Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Final applicants will be requested to consent to a pre-employment background check and employment verification. A background check is required to extend a job offer.
StreetSquash is an equal-opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. No knowledge of squash is necessary for this position.
- 41 West 115th Street
- New York, New York 10026
- United States
- Phone: 2122894838
To apply for this job please visit streetsquash.applytojob.com.