Career Development Coordinator
|Education, Human Services
Career Development Coordinator
Location: New York, NY (Harlem)
Type: Full Time, Exempt
StreetSquash was founded in Harlem in September 1999 as the second squash and education program in the United States. A comprehensive youth enrichment program, StreetSquash combines academic tutoring, squash instruction, community service, college preparation, leadership development, and mentoring for young people ages 11-24. What began as an after-school program with 24 middle school students and two staff members has expanded to serve 400 participants from 6th grade through college graduation, and entry into the workforce. Learn more about us at www.streetsquash.org.
About the Position
StreetSquash is seeking a demonstrated leader to fill the Career Development Coordinator position. An ideal candidate will possess a passion for working with young people and driving an organization that supports participants on the path to high school graduation, post-secondary education and completion, and securing meaningful, self-sustaining employment. The Career Development Coordinator reports to the Manager of College Access and Success and Alumni Support (CASAS). The Career Development Coordinator will be expected to be present at weekday sessions until 6:30 pm and select special events, potentially on weekends.
- Provide individualized professional career and prospective employment coaching and support for StreetSquash high school students and alumni interested in entering the workforce. This will include career exploration and advisement, resume and cover letter writing, interviewing, and job retention skills.
- Maintain a database of work training programs, workforce opportunities, apprenticeships, entry-level jobs, and internships and communicate these opportunities with StreetSquash participants.
- Collaborate with team members to support high school students navigating their post-secondary pathways and summer opportunity applications.
- Meet with students to discuss fields of interest and assist in the career decision-making process to help students identify their strengths, experiences, and vocational interests
- Collaborate with the College Access & Transition Coordinator to discuss fields of interest and pair students up with employers or training programs for internships
- Develop connections and partnerships with potential employers for StreetSquash’s internship program
- Schedule and attend regular site visits at student internship placements. Guide worksite supervisors as needed.
Career Access Programming
- Develop and facilitate customized instruction on job search strategies, career trends and issues, and workplace success through seminars and workshops for high school and middle school students
- Organize professional development events and networking opportunities for current students and alumni, including organizing all logistics and administrative details of any in-person or virtual workshops and events
- Develop and facilitate skill/competency-building internship preparation classes and workshops
- Develop and manage a professional mentoring program between professionals and college-aged students
- Communicate regularly with graduating high school students and alumni regarding employment opportunities and employer recruiting events.
Other CASAS and Administrative
- Collaborate with a team to support College Access, Success & Alumni Support (CASAS) programs and events, including chaperoning scheduled college visits
- Maintain records of all students’ professional progress, student interactions, and event attendance on Salesforce
- Support with any CASAS department evaluations and fundraising reports
- Participate in career access/trends, post-secondary success, and youth development training or conferences as needed
- Assist with collaborations with outside career access partners (i.e. Squash and Education Alliance, CUNY Network for College Success)
- Support other StreetSquash departments and StreetSquash-wide events as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of professional work experience in career development, post-secondary success counseling, or related fields
- Experience with developing and maintaining relationships with high school or college students and providing individualized support and coaching
- Experience with lesson planning, curriculum development, and facilitation a plus
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Sensitivity to different cultures and communities; demonstrated ability to work well with diverse or marginalized populations; can bring in allies across diverse communities
- Clear and compelling in both verbal and written communications
- Valid driver’s license for travel
Qualifications & Experience
- Commitment to a mission geared towards career readiness, post-secondary success, and the acquisition of academic, professional, social-emotional, and self-efficacy skills and competencies for young adults
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based, youth and family development perspective
- Passion for young people and enjoyment of spending time with them, coaching or tutoring them, and pushing them to set and achieve goals in all aspects of their lives
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask, problem-solve, meet deadlines, maintain all, and pay close attention to detail
- Spanish proficiency is a plus
- Google Suite, Zoom, and Salesforce experience a plus or demonstrated experience to learn new systems
Commitment: StreetSquash values long-term, deep, impactful work with students. It takes years to cultivate relationships and staff retention is a critical component of organizational success. This is not a transitional role or a temporary stepping stone. Candidates should be prepared to commit for the long haul, just as we are committed to supporting our staff to develop and grow.
Compensation & Benefits: StreetSquash offers competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. The salary is $58,500-$65,000. Full benefits include employer-supported health coverage, monthly MetroCard or equivalent transit stipend, monthly cell phone stipend, FSA, paid federal holidays, 20 days of paid vacation plus a 5-day holiday break, 40 hours of sick time, 3 personal days (after 3 months of employment), and 401k contributions (after 3 months of employment).
Application Process: Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. There will be three rounds of interviews, via phone and Zoom. After each round, the hiring team will notify candidates if they will be invited back. Final applicants will be requested to consent to a pre-employment background check. A background check is required to extend a job offer.
StreetSquash is an equal-opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. No knowledge of squash is necessary for this position.
- 40 W 116th Street
- New York, New York 10026
- United States
- Phone: 2122894838