Volunteer- Board of Director
|Job Category:||Volunteer Management|
|Job Sectors:||Human Services|
Providing comprehensive services for those on the Autism Disorder Spectrum for over 45 years, we are on the path to becoming a center of excellence for holistic life management for individuals with autism. Special Citizens began with a few parents joining forces to provide services and support for their aging adolescents. Special Citizens opened its first residential location in December 1981 and since then has expanded offerings to include 19 Residences, 3 Day Habilitation programs and Community Habilitation/Respite services.
Operationally headquartered on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx, Special Citizens currently has an annual budget of $15 million and over 220 staff who serve 300 individuals yearly in New York City and Westchester. With a person-centered approach to all programming and services, Special Citizens is one of the few agencies that primarily focuses on adults with autism. All supported persons are included in the planning of their services and activities, which concentrates on the individual’s specific needs and goals.
• Serve as a leading advocate of Special Citizens Futures Unlimited’ mission, programs, and services
• Commit to an annual philanthropic commitment to fundraise and raise awareness on behalf of Special Citizens Futures Unlimited
• Participate in the strategic plan and conduct an annual review
• Understand financial statements or commit to learning about non-profit financial oversight
• Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments to strengthen relationships within the community
• Attend all virtual and in-person board meetings located in Manhattan. Meetings are held 7 times a year in the evening
• Interest in the welfare of adults with developmental disabilities (broadly, or autism specifically).
• In-person availability for board/committee meetings in Manhattan and periodic special projects, such as attendance at fund-raising events and celebrations.
• Free of conflicts-of-interest (not a vendor, etc.).
• Experience with NYS-based Not-for-Profits preferred but not required
• Experience in marketing and social media is highly preferred (for one opening)
• Corporate experience and/or connections is a plus.
• Agree to a 1-year board term with the option of renewal
Please refer to our website at www.specialcitizens.org for further information about the organization. Interested candidates are invited to submit inquiries to the SCFU Board President, Victoria Berger-Gross at [email protected]
Special Citizens Futures Unlimited
- 1775 Grand Concourse
- Bronx, New Yotk