Chief Executive Officer
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement, Health, Human Services|
|Salary Range:||$375,000 to $425,000 commensurate with experience|
Chief Executive Officer
New York, NY
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
SCO Family of Services (SCO) has responded to the needs of New Yorkers for more than a century. With a budget of approximately $200 million and a staff of 3,100 across 122 locations, SCO through its 84 programs, provides 50,000 individuals and families in New York City and Long Island the support and tools needed for a healthy, stable, and successful future.
In 2021, SCO sheltered 5,200 youth and adults experiencing homelessness, helped 2,700 individuals with special needs develop critical skills, guided 5,400 children and teens on the path to academic success, prepared 1,500 children for kindergarten, served 1,100 young people in foster care, and supported 14,000 New Yorkers with counseling and community-based services.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for managing SCO’s overall vision, budget, team, fundraising, programs, and outcomes. Reporting to and working closely with the Board of Directors, the CEO will ensure that SCO is fiscally and administratively sound and that the organizational structure, technology, programs, and fundraising activities are well managed.
The CEO will expand SCO’s revenue by developing and implementing strategies to grow and diversify funding. The CEO will also provide the guidance and oversight to ensure that SCO’s programs and services have impact and innovate in response to the needs of its diverse community, while maintaining the highest level of quality, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.
The CEO will mentor direct reports and ensure professional development opportunities for staff across the organization. In partnership with the senior leadership team, the CEO will promote SCO’s values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and drive a highly productive, positive, and results-oriented culture.
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Drive and communicate the agency’s long-term strategy and develop and implement its annual plans and goals.
- Report to, partner with, and build a diverse Board of Directors that is mission-driven and engaged in organizational planning and governance.
- Promote a collaborative, inclusive, and high-performing organizational culture that fosters shared passion for SCO’s mission, work, and outcomes.
Financial Oversight and Operations
- Working closely with the CFO and Board, develop, manage, and ensure overall accountability for the organization’s complex annual budget of $200M+.
- Oversee the organization’s day-to-day operations, ensuring all activities and outcomes align with and advance SCO’s mission and strategic priorities.
- Ensure efficient and effective facility operations across all sites and compliance with city and state health and safety regulations.
Fundraising and Community Engagement
- Drive and actively participate in fundraising efforts, including overseeing government contracts, which make up approximately 97% of SCO’s funding.
- Cultivate and solicit major gifts, as appropriate, from individuals and foundations.
- Position SCO as a visible leader within human services and serve in ongoing community engagement and planning.
Service Delivery and Programmatic Excellence
- Develop and deliver impactful services and programs with a community and data-centric approach, ensuring the organization is at the forefront of evolving community needs.
- Regularly evaluate a wide range of programs, budgets, and advise on strategies and management for program effectiveness, improvement, and innovation.
- Incorporate new program and service delivery models, staying current and adapting to emerging government, community, and environmental changes and trends.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
The ideal CEO will be driven by an authentic passion for SCO’s mission and impact with a demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and inspire a large, multifaceted human service organization. Visionary, strategic, entrepreneurial, and relationship-oriented, the CEO will connect with and influence a wide range of stakeholders including SCO’s diverse and dynamic staff, Board members, major individual and foundation donors, government partners, and community members.
Key Professional Experience and Personal Attributes Include:
- A fierce commitment to families and youth development, education, healthcare, and human services, and supporting New York’s most vulnerable populations.
- Significant senior executive leadership and management experience, including an ability to communicate a vision and make critical day-to-day decisions for a complex organization.
- Track record of successfully recruiting and engaging Board members in the setting and achieving of organizational priorities.
- Financial management and budgeting acumen with proven results in increasing efficiency and overall operational performance.
- Government funding experience with an ability to build and manage key relationships with elected officials as well as an advanced understanding of detailed government contracts.
- Demonstrated success and enthusiasm for leading significant fundraising from public and private sources, including personally soliciting new donors.
- Track record of managing and developing high performing teams and leading and collaborating with colleagues to the successful completion of ambitious goals.
- Strong foundation in diversity, equity, and inclusion, including actively engaging diverse perspectives across an organization.
- Familiarity with New York Metropolitan area is preferred, including knowledge of the city and state government, nonprofit, and corporate sectors.
COMPENSATION: Salary range is $375,000-$425,000 commensurate with experience.
LOCATION: 1415 Kellum Place, Garden City, NY 11530
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter in confidence using https://loxo.co/job/MTM0OTMtdDFoN2IzcnViOXZxOGx0bw==?t=1678806987773
SCO Family of Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply for this job.
SCO Family of Services
- 1415 Kellum Place
- Garden City, New York 11530
- United States