Housing Program Advocate
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement|
Sakhi for South Asian Women exists to represent the South Asian diaspora in a survivor-led movement for gender-justice and to honor the collective and inherent power of all survivors of violence. Sakhi is committed to serving survivors through a combination of efforts including—but not limited to—direct services, advocacy and organizing, technical assistance, and community outreach.
Our office offers a unique work environment that is collaborative, fun and committed to social justice.
Sakhi is seeking a full-time Housing Advocate to join our team at our new office located in Queens, NY. The position is currently remote, but will transition to being at least 50% office-based from the beginning of 2022, taking into consideration the external environment. The Advocate will work collaboratively with the Direct Services team to ensure that survivors receive Housing services in a timely and trauma informed manner.
The Housing Advocate’s primary responsibility will be to provide 1:1 case management to survivors of gender-based violence seeking support with supportive housing through Sakhi’s in-house Housing Program, as well as through external resources. Towards the goal of ensuring safe permanent housing, the Advocate’s responsibilities will include helping achieve program targets by expediting the housing placement process. This would require determining the appropriate housing program for survivors through intakes, vulnerability and economic assessments, assisting clients achieve housing readiness, establishing eligibility profiles, seeking out and matching permanent housing opportunities by assisting them to complete and submit housing applications, and secure housing interviews. Additionally, the Advocate will be responsible to help access and maintain housing vouchers through New York City’s FHEPS Program, the Emergency Housing and Section 8 Vouchers, work directly with landlords and brokers on behalf of clients to find affordable and safe apartments, advocate to city agencies to ensure there is no interruption in housing benefits, and mediate disputes between clients and landlords.
Position Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Provide survivors with information on tenant rights, resources, and services available – in-house and external resources
● Identify and maintain a wide array of links with fair market landlords, realtors, rented rooms (when appropriate) and others who have leads to permanent housing
● Establish links with housing authority personnel and any city/state officials who may have access to permanent housing
● Ensure that clients are placed in housing appropriate to their needs based on intakes and assessments. Assist in securing apartments for participants as applicable
● Communicate with Sakhi’s Direct Service team regarding upcoming interviews, sent applications, and follow-up with housing providers, via progress notes, staff meetings and weekly supervision
● Conduct apartment review (apartment walk through)
● Coordinate furniture delivery, move in/out etc
● Be responsible for implementing and delivering Sakhi’s Housing Program strategy that includes empowering survivors through supportive housing e.g classes and workshops for survivors as well as managing referrals to job training and placement providers
● Assist survivors by helping them complete reports & applications, gather information, translate documents, etc.
● Develop and facilitate support group meetings, focus groups, financial literacy classes as it relates to Housing Program participants
● Address any housing issues that could jeopardize housing stability for clients (non-payment of rent, violation of lease terms, house repairs) and assist in developing a contingency plan if needed by connecting with legal partners
● Track clients progress towards independent housing readiness including job readiness assessment and assisting with finding employment where required in collaboration with the Economic Empowerment team
● Ensure the correct portion of rent is paid by Sakhi’s finance department and that landlords/management companies receive all dues in a timely manner
● Coordinate with the finance department to request monthly electronic payments are made to landlord/management each month, ensure rent receipts are signed each month by the landlords
● Use engagement, organizational skills, time management, and writing skills to complete tasks in a timely manner
● Build and sustain relationships with current, new, and potential financial skills organizations; outreach for possible partnerships and resource-sharing in order to expand Sakhi’s reach and impact
● Keep up-to-date records of all survivor- related work/activities through efficient data collection in Salesforce
● Document individual and program progress, produce and submit reports based on this data for grant reporting
● Bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience in anti gender-based violence advocacy.
● Fluency in one or more South Asian languages, especially Hindi, Urdu, and/or Bengali
● Ability to engage with diverse communities and audiences
● Strong interpersonal, writing, and organization skills
● Ability to work well under pressure and juggle multiple time-sensitive tasks
● U.S. Work Authorization required
● Experience in a range of housing and economic empowerment activities
● Experience or knowledge of NYC real estate, Transitional and Affordable Housing Programs would be beneficial though not mandatory
● Experience working with multiple staff, volunteers, and program responsibilities
This is a full-time role that requires some flexibility with schedule. The position reports to the Housing Manager. Salary starting at $55,000. Sakhi offers health and dental benefits, paid parental leave and all full-time team members have access to clinical supervision.
At Sakhi, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Sakhi is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Bilingual/bicultural applicants, persons of color, people with disabilities and GLBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis for a start date of October 15, 2021. To apply, email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with subject “Housing Advocate Applicant”
Sakhi for South Asian Women
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com