Public Programs Manager
|Job Category:||Administrative, Other, Programs/Services, Volunteer Management|
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement, Education, Environmental, Human Services, Other|
Job: Public Programs Manager
Job Type: Full-Time; Year-Round; 40 hours per week; 5 days per week; Regular weekends in-season; Exempt
Salary Range: $68,000-$72,000
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package 60 days following date of hire (health insurance, paid time off, etc.)
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, NY, NY 10035
The Public Programs Manager will oversee the 200+ public programs and programming events on Randall’s Island. The position is responsible for planning and reporting on a robust programming calendar. The Manager will help to build new partnerships with schools and community organizations and continue to enhance existing relationships and programs, advancing the mission of the Randall’s Island Park Alliance. The Manager reports to the Director of Environmental Programs and oversees a team of staff members with the goal of developing and implementing community and educational programs. The Manager collaborates closely with all departments to achieve programmatic outcomes.
- With oversight from the Director of Environmental Programs and broad latitude for independent initiative and judgment, work to develop and implement community events, including nature, recreation, fitness, and environmental education programs.
- Manage, facilitate, and oversee free public programs for park visitors (children, adults, families).
- Manage Programming staff, including education, volunteer, and programming coordinators, as well as seasonal staff and interns.
- Plan and organize nature, health, fitness, and cultural programs, including tours, special events, and large festivals with relevant departments.
- Coordinate outreach efforts to community-based organizations and neighborhood residents.
- Oversee coordination of small and large volunteer events.
- Oversee the school group and summer camp registration process.
- Collaboratively coordinate cross-departmentally, when planning events, especially large-scale festivals.
- Manage budgets and track spending and receipts.
- Oversee and approve scheduling and timekeeping for the Programming department in a timely manner for payroll processing.
- Maintain detailed records to track and present data in regular communications to the Director of Environmental Programs and Development department, quarterly reports to the Programming Committee of RIPA’s Board of Trustees, and an annual Programming Report.
- Conduct outreach and promote the wide range of community events and volunteer opportunities RIPA offers by attending community events, meetings, and interacting with the public.
- Oversee the implementation of outreach strategies to schools, community organizations, and individuals to encourage and maximize the use of facilities and programs on Randall’s Island.
- Work with the Communications Manager to oversee the development and distribution of materials to promote all community events, including creating and editing text for brochures, signage, and promotional materials for park programs.
- Support park-wide initiatives, programs, and events.
- Perform general administrative duties, as needed.
- Perform all other general tasks as assigned by the Director of Environmental Programming and senior leadership.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- A. from an accredited college and three years of experience in community work or community-centered activities in an area related to the duties described above OR High School Diploma (or equivalent) plus five years of relevant work experience.
- Minimum of one year supporting and planning organizational programming.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work outdoors and coordinate and facilitate school, community, and volunteer events at the park.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and teams through complex planning and implementation.
- Strong verbal communication and writing skills; ability to articulate and advocate RIPA’s mission.
- Ability to multitask and coordinate multiple parts of large-scale projects.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships cross-departmentally.
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, organizational, and time management skills and strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to make sound judgments and effectively solve problems.
- Motivated and punctual, able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Valid NYS Driver License.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
PREFERRED SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Two to four years in program management or a similar role.
- Experience working in a non-profit organization.
- Knowledge and interest in nature-based public programs.
- Demonstrated track record of successful program implementation, volunteer management, and project planning.
- Fluent in Spanish.
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes in a diverse and an inclusive workplace.
Randall's Island Park Alliance
- Icahn Stadium, 10 Central Road
- New York, NY 10035
To apply for this job please visit www.randallsisland.org.