Vice President, People and Culture
|Job Category:||Executive, HR|
|Salary Range:||145,000 - 175,000|
ABOUT PROTEUS FUND
Proteus Fund connects philanthropy to the frontlines of social justice. We strive to advance the interconnected goals of racial, gender, queer and disability justice, and an inclusive, fully representative democracy. To do our work effectively and with significant impact, Proteus Fund creates dynamic relationships between progressive philanthropists, movement leaders, and other allies that go far beyond transactional grantmaking. Our trusted position among funders and field actors enables us to support, both through collaborative grantmaking and other efforts, a broad array of strategies to achieve social justice victories. Our donor collaboratives are best-in-class models for bridging responsive philanthropy and cutting-edge social justice movements for deeper impact, aligning resources to address critical needs, and shaping strategy alongside our partners. Through our fiscal sponsorship program, Proteus Fund partners with initiatives which play a powerful role in the larger ecosystem for social change, providing them with tailored and comprehensive organizational support.
To date, Proteus Fund, and its affiliated 501c4 organization, the Proteus Action League, have distributed $280 million in grants, and provided other essential tools to support activists, advocates, networks, coalitions, and issue-specific campaigns at the local, state, and national level. Proteus Fund is headquartered in New York City, with staff based across the entire United States.
The Vice President, People and Culture reports to the Proteus Fund’s Chief Operating Officer. The Vice President will serve as a leader and champion of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) and as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) to implement the best practices in People and Culture and shape the Human Resources function. The Vice President will also bring in first-rate strong stakeholder management to continue to strengthen Proteus Fund’s organizational culture and inspire change at all levels and divisions within the organization.
The Vice President manages a Senior Human Resources Generalist who is responsible for all benefits and leave administration, and other duties. The Vice President works regularly with executive leadership and all departments and programs at Proteus Fund. This includes donor services, finance, grants management, IT, operations, as well as Proteus Fund’s donor collaboratives and fiscally sponsored projects.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) US-based remote or hybrid position for an individual located in the Northeast, with a preference for someone in the New York City area. The position requires at least 10% and up to 20% travel for internal meetings and retreats, as well as conferences and other events.
Proteus Fund welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women and gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities.
People and Culture Building
• Work with the President and COO to ensure that the People & Culture perspective and organization-wide work plan development align with the mission and objectives of the organization.
• Assist in developing an organizational environment that reflects Proteus Fund’s values, creating a culture of trust, transparency, respect, and collaboration.
• Help define and create strategies for the organization’s culture goals.
• Develop and implement strategies to elevate employee engagement and wellbeing.
• Leverage best practices across systems, processes, and policies that impact the overall people and culture experience throughout the organization.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) Strategy and Guidance
• Serve as a thought partner and counselor to the President and COO for all internal DEIB strategies, including ideation, planning, and execution.
• Coach Senior Staff on effective implementation of DEIB strategies; adoption and application.
• Stay current on internal/external best practices (including benchmarks) and actively pursue efforts in making Proteus Fund an effective leader in DEIB.
• Administer trainings to core staff on DEIB best practices, strategies, and philosophies.
• Support the chair of the DEIB committee acting as a partner and oversee the DEIB workflow and ensure it is aligned with organizational strategy, as well as expanding staff involvement in this work.
Human Resources Administration
• Develop and implement an integrated human resources function and strategy that proactively addresses the HR needs of the organization, including but not limited to talent acquisition, staff retention, workforce planning, organizational development, performance management, professional development, staff retention, compensation, and benefits.
• Create, monitor, and manage departmental budget.
• Enlist and engage a diverse and inclusive workforce that meets high job performance standards, stirs innovation, and drives growing organizational impact.
• Participate in Proteus Fund’s triennial strategic planning process.
Policy, Practice and System Development and Implementation
• Review all policies and practices to ensure alignment with Proteus Fund’s mission, business model, strategic plan, and values while ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, and best practices.
• Create and distribute communications related to human resource policies, procedures, and practices and any related topics to all Proteus Fund employees.
Recruitment and Hiring
• Guide and support hiring managers with all aspects of hiring and recruitment efforts.
• Maintain strong working relationships with national diversity associations and affinity groups as well as university faculty, career service departments and campus organizations.
• Oversee all stages of recruiting and hiring including, but not limited to, approval of job postings, involvement in candidate screening and interviewing for core positions, job offer extension, salary negotiation, and onboarding.
• Oversee and manage the pre-and post-onboarding process for senior level positions with IT and Operations.
• Collaborate with hiring managers in cases where recruitment efforts involve working with a search firm, including managing the selection of the firm and oversight of the recruitment process.
• Respond to all internal and external employment-related inquiries.
• Supervise and, if necessary, assist Senior Human Resources Generalist with onboarding including payroll, employee benefits, etc.
• Develop and ensure healthy work relationships and a supportive work atmosphere.
• Provide guidance to supervisors and employees around Proteus Fund policies, practices, and guidelines, as well as applicable employment laws and regulations.
• Direct all workplace investigations.
• Work with managers to develop effective performance improvement plans and assist them in implementing them when necessary.
• Manage all voluntary and involuntary employee terminations, and conduct exit interviews for Proteus Fund’s core staff.
Employee Development, Training and Evaluation
• Establish organizational performance management programs that align with the values and mission of Proteus Fund. Coach managers to set clear, meaningful goals and objectives and use metrics to measure performance. Identify key performance indicators for people and talent management functions and assess the success and market competitiveness based on these metrics.
• Coordinate with steering committees and directors of fiscally sponsored projects to ensure annual performance evaluation for all fiscal sponsored projects staff (FSPs).
• Develop and manage professional development budget, strategy, resources, and implementation; collaborate with senior management when appropriate.
• Identify and schedule organization-wide, department-wide, and individual job-related trainings.
Compensation and Wage Administration
• Periodically review organization’s compensation and benefits to ensure that Proteus is competitive in the philanthropy market.
• Ensure a systematic approach to compensation management.
• Manage salary adjustments for all staff.
Respond to relevant external salary surveys.
• Provide guidance to the Senior Human Resources Generalist who manages the negotiation and obtaining of high-quality benefits that support employee well-being while ensuring that the Proteus Fund’s budget can support the cost.
• Provide oversight to Senior Human Resources Generalist who manages the annual open enrollment process.
Compliance and Risk Management
• Maintain compliance with all employment legislation changes, both federal and state.
• Maintain necessary knowledge of philanthropy and non-profit trends.
• Guide the organization by analyzing internal and external environments to identify factors which may have negative impacts on the organization, then develop systems to prevent their occurrence or limit their effects, while focusing on the big picture to identify trends and create opportunities.
• This role has one direct report – Senior Human Resources Generalist.
• The Vice President, People and Culture will have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 7 years’ experience leading nonprofit human resources, people & culture, and/or DEIB functions with at least 3 years’ supervisory experience.
• DEI or Human Resources related certification.
• Working knowledge of complex budgets and experience effectively managing them.
• Experience with fiscal sponsorship and/or donor collaboratives a plus.
• Flexibility and adaptability are needed to navigate, understand, and support multiple organizational cultures embodied by fiscally sponsored projects.
• Passion and interest in public advocacy, and progressive social justice.
• Keen sense of prioritization and multitasking and experience in relating to others who represent a variety of backgrounds.
Additional requirements and experience include:
• Ability to link broader organizational vision and goals to the design and implementation of effective systems and processes
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work efficiently in a virtual setting.
• Problem-solving orientation and the skills to develop solutions.
• Detail oriented and the ability to organize and perform with accuracy and within deadlines.
• High level of maturity and integrity with sensitive and/or confidential information.
Alignment to Culture and Values
• Commitment to mission and values of Proteus Fund as a progressive social justice organization.
• Cultural responsiveness and an alignment with our values and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
• Strong relationship building skills, high ethical standards, discretion, and tact.
• Personal qualities of humility and empathy.
The starting salary for this role is $145,000 to $175,000 and is based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, geographic location, skill set level, years of previous/applicable experience, and Proteus Fund’s commitment to ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team will share more details regarding salary bands based on the candidate’s specific geographic location as well as the other factors noted above. Salary is one part of the total compensation that Proteus Fund provides to employees.
Proteus Fund is committed to ensuring that its employees are supported holistically, from compensation, benefits and resources to an enriching work environment and collaborative culture. Proteus Fund leads the market in a number of its offerings, including a sector-leading retirement plan contribution and robust benefits package. The recruiting team will share more information regarding this commitment and offerings. Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible dependents available on first day of work
• Retirement savings account (401k) with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
• Three weeks’ paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
• Fifteen sick days per year
• Three personal days per year
• Fifteen paid holidays
• Professional development initiatives for growth
• Life Insurance
• Paid Family Leave, short-term, and long-term disability
For consideration, please submit cover letter and resume by April 07, 2023.
A cover letter indicating your interest in Proteus Fund must be included. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Follow this link to apply: https://grnh.se/0489df4d3us
Proteus Fund believes that one of the greatest strengths of an organization is the rich diversity of its staff and board and is committed to providing equal employment and promotional opportunities based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, ethnicity, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under the law. Proteus Fund’s policies and practices are to reflect Proteus Fund’s commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.
Proteus Fund is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Proteus will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or 413-256-0349 option 3. Additionally, throughout this document, use of the pronoun “they” is intended to be inclusive of humans who identify as non-binary as well as those of gender expansive identities and experiences.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Please note, in an effort to maintain and safeguard staff’s health, well-being, and safety, Proteus Fund requires all employees to be vaccinated prior to their employment and adhere to the regular upkeep of COVID-19 vaccination requirements as per CDC recommendations while employed. Proof of the CDC-recommended level of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment with Proteus Fund.
To apply for this job please visit grnh.se.