Executive Director – Power of Two
Power of Two
Brooklyn, New York // Bronx, New York
Power of Two was founded in 2015 in Brownsville, Brooklyn to address the reality that often, children born into poverty are also born into families that have themselves experienced trauma. These combined factors mean that these children are often exposed to prolonged toxic stress that places them at a significantly higher risk for negative effects on learning, on behavior and on health across their entire lifespan.
Power of Two provides in-home parent coaching to deliver Attachment and Biobehavioral Catch-Up (ABC), an evidence-based, rigorously tested program that helps caregivers tap into their inherent potential to parent sensitively. In addition to this offering, Power of Two addresses other social determinants of health by providing families with comprehensive referrals to additional resources as needed. After parents graduate from the program, they have the opportunity to become a community ambassador and harness the collective power of community to design systems that work for everyone.
Power of Two has served over 4,000 children and their families. After comprehensive community assessment and extensive planning efforts, the organization now has a physical presence in Brownsville, Brooklyn, Highbridge/Concourse and Hunt’s Point in the Bronx, and serves families across all five boroughs of NYC through a contract with the city’s Administration for Children’s Services. Currently, Power of Two has over 50 employees and an eleven-person Board of Directors.
Power of Two is seeking a strategic, community-centered Executive Director (ED) to provide vision, leadership, and management to all aspects of the organization. The Executive Director will lead Power of Two through a time of growth as the organization has embarked on a five-year expansion plan detailed within its strategic plan.
The ED must be able to cultivate, build and maintain strong, trusting, and authentic relationships with a wide range of partners, including nonprofit and community leaders, residents within the communities served, elected officials, government agencies and funders. They must ensure the continued stability and expansion of fundraising to support the organization’s growth. The ED should be a storyteller that will grow Power of Two’s visibility and expand its brand awareness.
The ideal person for this role is deeply committed to Power of Two’s mission to nurture the inherent potential in every child and family – equipping them with the tools to transform their own lives and strengthen our communities. The right person is committed to facilitating healing from systems of racial inequality that have perpetuated intergenerational trauma and is able to enlist collaborators in that process. This person is also a visionary with a strategic mindset who can lead with inspiration, authenticity, and transparency. They are self-aware, possess a growth mindset, and have the ability to cultivate innovation and empower teams to grow and do ever more impactful work.
Strategic Vision & Leadership:
- Provide strategic vision for Power of Two and assess and implement the current strategic plan to support the organization’s mission and growth.
- Represent the organization externally to bolster its relationships with partners, community members, and funders, and to develop new relationships to increase its visibility and influence.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to the senior team and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization.
- Establish effective decision-making processes that will enable Power of Two to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives.
- Serve as an ambassador and model of the codified organizational values guiding the programming and culture of the organization.
- Preserve the internal culture of participatory decision-making, authenticity, transparency, and support that puts people at the center of every decision.
Fundraising & Partnerships:
- Identify and secure funding that allows for Power of Two to make continuous progress toward the achievement of its mission and ensure that those funds are allocated properly to reflect present needs and future potential.
- Partner closely with the Board, which include Power of Two’s founders, to maintain, develop, and deepen relationships with funders including individuals, foundations, and government agencies.
- Serve as a key spokesperson of Power of Two’s vision, values, programs, and achievements.
- Represent the organization and promote partnership development and collaboration with other community organizations and partners.
Management & Operations:
- Oversee the financial status of the organization in partnership with the Board and fiscal sponsor, including developing long- and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
- Ensure programmatic excellence and consistent quality of financial management, administration, fundraising, strategic communications, and operational systems while managing for current and future growth.
- Support, develop and manage the senior leadership team, including conducting annual reviews and setting annual goals with direct reports.
- Cultivate a transparent and effective working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
- Support the building and development of a diverse and inclusive Board that is representative of the community, highly engaged, and willing to leverage and secure resources.
- Passion for children with a belief that early childhood is the linchpin to our future society
- Background/knowledge in early childhood, education, mental health, healthcare, child welfare, childhood development, trauma or a related field preferred
- Demonstrated nonprofit senior management experience
- Experience successfully implementing organizational change and capacity building related to growth and expansion
- Proven track record in fundraising, especially in expanding individual donor base and significantly increasing revenues
- Knowledgeable about systems change and building equity across all practices
- Informed and passionate about social justice issues
- Ability to bring a racial equity lens to the work
- Experience within the communities (or similar communities) in which Power of Two operates
- Demonstrated success building and maintaining trusting relationships
- Ability to navigate government bureaucracy and the community organizing landscape
- Demonstrated experience designing and implemented community-based programming
- Budget and financial management experience
Salary range of $200,000-$225,000 commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
This position description is based upon material provided by Power of Two, an equal opportunity employer.
Senior Talent Consultant
To apply to this position please visit www.DRGsearch.com.
 Humanity: We respect and honor the inherent value and gift in every human being, recognizing the beauty and power of all of our identities and in all of our relationships.
Care: We elevate our collective success by centering the needs and experiences of those we are in community with.
Innovation: We reflect on our collective experiences and learnings to continually innovate and strive for individual and community liberation.
Communication: We recognize that power is intrinsically tied to communication, and therefore we intentionally create equitable spaces that start with listening, encourage different perspectives, and foster candid conversations.
Justice: We name and fight injustice and engage in collective community healing to reclaim our narratives in pursuit of an equitable world. We engage in this work by centering the lived experiences of Black, Brown and Indigenous people, both locally and globally.
Power of Two