|Job Sectors:||Education, International/Foreign Affairs|
Sector: Nonprofit; Education
Function: Executive leadership, general management, strategic planning, fundraising
Location: New York, NY (While the position can be fulfilled remotely, the Executive Director will be expected to be easily accessible to NYC for meetings and events.)
About the Organization
One To World (OTW) engages the almost 100,000 international students, visiting scholars, and other exchange participants studying at institutions of higher education in the New York-area (including over 800 Fulbright grantees) through programs that create understanding and build positive relationships between area residents and these unofficial ambassadors from all over the world. Our programs provide a unique opportunity for U.S. residents and international students to engage on an intimate level; having dinner inside local homes, sharing culture and experiences in the classroom, and volunteering their time together through community service projects.
One To World is designated by the U.S. Department of State as the official Coordinator of Enrichment Programs for visiting Fulbright grantees studying or doing research in the greater New York area.
At One To World, we uphold our core values in everything we do:
- Curiosity: we encourage the ongoing pursuit of knowledge and new experiences
- Mutual Respect: we believe that striving to understand different perspectives is critical to recognizing our shared humanity
- Inclusion: we promote the participation and contribution of all people
- Community: we cultivate a sense of belonging through building relationships and a network of global citizens
For our next Executive Director, we are seeking a seasoned and creative leader to usher in the next chapter of vision and strategy and build on our 45-year legacy of designing innovative cultural programs. The Executive Director will oversee all daily operations for an organization with a $1M annual budget and a dedicated team of 10. The ideal candidate is a strategic and innovative executive who excels at building authentic relationships and possesses a deep commitment to cultural exchange.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
Vision and Strategy
- Uphold and advance One To World’s mission and vision, provide inspiring direction for OTW’s future, and work with the Board and staff to develop, implement, and refine the organization’s strategic priorities ensuring alignment to its core values.
- Serve as the key external face of the organization, enhance its visibility, and bring awareness to the critical work One To World does with partners, donors, government officials, and other stakeholders; strengthen One To World’s presence in the international exchange sector.
- Identify and develop support for strategic initiatives that increase One To World’s impact and diversify revenue streams (earned and contributed).
- Promote and model an inclusive, equitable, and welcoming culture that embodies One To World’s values.
- Manage all day-to-day operations (including effectively managing the budget, contractual obligations, and all internal operations) and staff, with ultimate accountability for the success of the organization.
- Ensure staff has clearly defined roles and success metrics, and access to the information and resources necessary to achieve their goals; coach team members to achieve annual goals aligned to programmatic logic models.
- Provide supervision to a dedicated team of 10 individuals in hybrid work environment, foster a strong team culture, and create professional growth opportunities.
- Design and implement, in collaboration with the Director of Development, a fundraising strategy for raising annual operating income (including grants, individual and planned giving, and events).
- Oversee the execution of an annual calendar of fundraising activities in collaboration with the Director of Development, including producing two signature events, the annual fundraising gala (the Fulbright Awards Dinner) and Directors Circle.
- Cultivate and steward major donors, including current, past, and prospective gala honorees.
- Develop and manage key philanthropic relationships to support current and future program initiatives.
- Oversee financial management, including the development of OTW’s annual budget; allocating resources for optimal effectiveness and efficiency; ensuring fulfillment of all contractual and regulatory obligations.
- Work with audit committee and audit firm to oversee the annual audit.
- Support and cultivate One To World’s programmatic offerings and organizational strategy, oversee the execution and evolution of OTW’s core programs and initiatives, and set clear and consistent performance metrics.
- Think big about One To World and how its high-impact and high-quality suite of programs can expand the reach and deepen the impact for the people we serve.
The successful candidate will:
- Have 10-15 years of experience with at least 5 years in a successful leadership position, preferably in a nonprofit organization.
- Possess deep respect and appreciation for cultural exchange, its significance, and the global community.
- Have experience and demonstrated success with fundraising, special events and earned income.
- Have demonstrated success creating relationships within and knowledge of the operations of the New York City public school system or another comparable urban public education system.
- Have an understanding of international higher education and the role educational exchanges play on college campuses.
- Demonstrate high Emotional Intelligence (EQ), cultural competence, and cultural humility.
- Possess a track record of working successfully with diverse populations and a commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Possess the ability to adapt quickly to changing situations, realign priorities, and handle the inevitable challenges that accompany nonprofit organizations.
- Have experience motivating and leading a team, managing change, and fostering an inclusive and innovative working environment.
- Be a dynamic, collaborative, and mentoring leader who inspires trust and respect.
- Have comfort and experience with public speaking.
- Maintain and model high personal, ethical, and professional standards.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrate strong planning and project management skills and attention to detail.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to listen effectively, promote collaboration and cohesiveness, as well as develop external partnerships.
- Have experience and demonstrated success in working effectively with a Board of Directors.
- Possess an undergraduate degree and, preferably, a graduate degree in a relevant field of study.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $130,00 to $140,000, with a comprehensive benefits package which includes unlimited PTO, 11+ paid holidays, 7 sicks days, medical, dental and life insurance, as well as a retirement match and long and short-term disability coverage. One To World offers a hybrid work model and flexible hours to accommodate employees’ needs.
Please email resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the following subject line “First & Last Name – Executive Director candidate”
View this position in PDF form here.
It is the policy of One To World not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, training, layoff and termination.
One To World
- 307 7th Ave
- New York City, NY 10001
- United States
- Phone: (212) 431-1195
To apply for this job email your details to OTWedsearch@gmail.com