Nonprofit New York Internship
|Job Category:||Communications, Development, Policy/Advocacy|
|Location:||Brooklyn, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County, The Bronx, Westchester|
Nonprofit New York is committed to offering an internship program that provides future nonprofit leaders work experience in a nonprofit and introduces them to best practices for excellent nonprofit management and governance. Our internship program will provide hands-on experience by involving interns in projects that are critical to the day-to-day operations and overall vision of Nonprofit New York. Interns are an important part of our team and will have opportunities to engage with staff at all levels of our organization. We strive to provide a realistic preview of what it is like to work in the nonprofit sector. Our internship program goals include:
- Fostering appreciation for the nonprofit community
- Increasing knowledge of the nonprofit sector
- Offering development opportunities for both personal and professional growth
Nonprofit New York is happy to work with applicants who are able to receive academic credit and/or financial support from an academic institution for participation in our internship program. Nonprofit New York is not able to offer internships to individuals without such support at this time.
For the foreseeable future we anticipate all internships being remote.
Nonprofit New York has four internship roles available:
- Fundraising & Development Intern
- Research prospective funders, both foundations and corporations
- Draft letters of interest to prospective funders
- Assist with corporate sponsorship research and outreach for the 2021 Annual Meeting
- Communications Intern
- Support social media content production to promote programs and events
- Monitor and update Google Ads
- Draft e-blasts and newsletters in communications platform
- Membership Intern
- Research prospects for new members
- Assist with retention efforts
- Monitor and update membership data
- Policy Intern
- Track bills and monitor policy and updates on nonprofit related policies and legislation
- Research nonprofit policy initiatives to support Nonprofit New York’s campaign work
- Assist with coalition and work group meeting coordination
The Nonprofit New York internship program runs for 8-10 weeks. We are open to working with students for term time work, as well as work over the extended break between semesters.
Qualities, Qualifications & Requirements
- Preferred education level: at least three years of college level academic work
- Desire to engage in ongoing learning, both personally and professionally
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated interest in nonprofits and public service
- Self-starter, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong time-task management skills
- Willingness to contribute thoughts to ongoing conversations
- Openness to evolving responsibilities and priorities
- An ability to face challenges with calm, grit and humor
Organizationally, we have made a commitment to our personal and collective growth on issues of equity and inclusion. Our organizational values, which are centered on racial equity, include:
- Building community: member-centered, sector-powered, directness, kindness
- Learning culture: curiosity, innovation, iteration, reflection, fun, trust, openness
- Practicing excellence: quality, accessibility, reflection, collaboration, transparency, relentlessness
The deadline to apply is October 30th. Please send the following information to [email protected]. Please use the subject line: “2020-2021 Internship”. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
- Cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Which internship position are you interested in?
- What are your learning and professional goals?
- If you are 100% successful in this internship, what would that look like for you and for our organization?
- If applicable, school/credit requirements for internship completion
- If applicable, information about documentation requirements for receiving financial support from a third party source
Nonprofit New York
- New York, NY 10017
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org