Director of Development
The Director of Development is a member of the senior leadership team of the NYJL and is responsible for ensuring the highest standards of excellence in fundraising. The Director will lead work to diversify the NYJL’s funding resources with an emphasis on traditional fundraising vehicles, specifically in developing corporate partnerships and individual giving programs. The Director will also lead strategy around and support volunteer leadership teams in executing and support outreach for grant applications. He/she will work closely with the Board’s Development Work Group and internal leadership to ensure the NYJL meets and exceeds fundraising goals to fulfill the organization’s mission related services. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director will be responsible for setting the strategic direction in partnership with the Development Work Group volunteers.
This individual will demonstrate organizational and operational excellence and proven expertise in leading development initiatives, including providing thought leadership around translating the NYJL’s unique impact and value proposition for new potential institutional and major donors. A successful candidate must thrive on change and collaboration and consistently inspire and motivate a multifunctional team of both staff and volunteers. An effective candidate is not only strategic and creative, but also willing to roll up their sleeves on all aspects of the position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Create and implement an annual and multi-year fundraising and development plan that pairs new ideas for shaping key programs and assets with fresh, targeted strategies for raising revenue from corporations, foundations, major donors and other individuals.
· Create and implement a donor stewardship plan, particularly targeting the highest level potential donors.
· Work with the Development Work Group to cultivate, secure, track, and steward corporate partnerships, event sponsorships, and individual donors.
· Prospect new corporate donors.
· Support and manage the NYJL Annual Fund volunteer team to build a donor base and grow annual revenue.
· Provide strategic guidance on the development of prospective donor events, the coordination of donor asks and the stewardship of fundraising event supporters, which leverage participation of the Development Work Group.
· Supervise and support the Fundraising Events Senior Coordinator in executing fundraising events throughout the fiscal year.
· Represent the NYJL with potential donors.
· Work with the Grants Committee to support grant pipeline, program focus, and in building relationships with grant managers.
· Work with the Development Work Group to support the annual Employee Appreciation Fund.
· Create and foster a positive, creative, and collaborative working environment between staff and volunteer leadership.
· Prepare all donor proposal and agreements, and actively maintain the approvals process with volunteer leadership.
· Prepare weekly development reports and monthly development Board Reports to be shared with key volunteer leadership.
· Create, monitor, and analyze key donor data information – including weekly, monthly, and year over year donations data from both individuals and corporate donors.
· Partner with Communications Manager to prepare digital giving campaigns.
Qualifications & Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree or 4 years of equivalent experience.
· At least five years of progressive experience managing the fundraising or development function at a nonprofit organization.
· Proven track record of cultivating and securing new revenue from a variety of funders, including corporations, foundations and individuals.
· Experience fundraising through corporate partnerships and annual giving.
· Experience building donor relationships and soliciting asks for gifts up to $50,000.
· Experience working with nonprofit organization budgets.
· Excellent research, writing, analytical, and organizational skills.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team to collaborate effectively with a wide range of staff, partners, vendors, and volunteer leadership.
· Proven ability to translate mission and impact into compelling pitches.
· Capable of building and sustaining relationships with a variety of individuals and businesses.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly advanced knowledge of Excel.
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal communications skills.
· Exceptional attention to detail.
· Comfortable working in Google Drive and with project management software.
· Experience with Digital Cheetah desired but not required.
This position requires independent judgment, decision-making, creativity and analysis of problems, and a high degree of diplomacy and discretion. It requires leadership and planning skills, cooperative teamwork and the ability to interact with a variety of people working on diverse levels across the organization. The ideal candidate has a high level of discernment and professionalism at all times.
Position is available immediately.
The New York Junior League is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, upgrade, train, and promote for all positions and job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital, veteran or disabled veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other status as a member of any other legally protected group or activity.
New York Junior League
- 130 East 80th Street
- New York, NY 10075
- Phone: 212-288-6220
To apply for this job email your details to EmailtoHR@nyjl.org