Tenant Support Coordinator
|Job Category:||Administrative, Development, Programs/Services|
|Job Sectors:||Education, Other|
New Destiny is a New York City nonprofit founded in 1994 to serve one of the City’s most vulnerable homeless populations – victims of domestic violence and their children. We are committed to increasing permanent housing options for domestic violence survivors by building affordable housing and improving their access to existing housing resources.
New Destiny is seeking a full-time Tenant Support Coordinator to provide on-site services at The Anderson, a 40-unit supportive, permanent affordable housing development in the Highbridge section of the Bronx. The successful candidate is a creative, resourceful, and organized professional who is comfortable working independently and who has a strong commitment to helping domestic violence survivors, previously homeless and very low-income households to remain stable in permanent housing while developing plans for achieving greater economic security.
The ideal candidate for the position will be innovative and passionate about improving the lives of domestic violence survivors and their children. They will be responsible for overseeing the daily programming at the building and for supervising a Case Manager and Front Door Monitor.
This position requires working one weekday night (e.g., 11AM to 7PM), occasionally on a Saturday or Sunday for special events and reports directly to the Bronx Regional Director.
Core Function and Responsibilities:
Tenant Engagement and Community Organizing
· Actively engages tenants to participate in program services and activities.
· Fosters tenant interaction and builds community within the building community.
· Develops and implements workshops that reflect the interests of tenants.
· Work collaboratively with colleagues to plan enriching activities for children and adults.
· Maintains transparency with tenants regarding expectations, requirements and provide support as needed.
Case Management Services
· Develops annual service goals and reviews safety plans with tenants.
· Maintains a caseload of 15-20 tenants.
· Assists tenants with applying for and maintaining housing subsidies and other benefits.
· Provides counseling to tenants as appropriate on issues such as: safety planning, parenting, and budgeting.
· In conjunction with the Property Manager, engages and assists tenants who are in arrears or at risk of becoming housing unstable.
· Works collaboratively with the Case Manager to engage tenants and their children in need of additional support.
· Develops strong relationships with appropriate medical and mental health providers, job readiness/training and placement programs, and educational and recreation programs.
· Provides referrals and linkages to appropriate services for tenants in need of support.
· Collaborates with New Destiny’s Housing Stability Services team to integrate Financial, health and wellness coaches into our program services.
· Prepares monthly reports on program activities, services provided and individual outcomes.
· Maintains program data integrity by inputting client information on a weekly basis.
· Works with Bronx Regional Director and Data & Evaluation Manager to identify trends in program needs or gaps in services.
· Conducts bi-weekly supervision with Case Manager and Front Door Monitor.
· Attends bi-weekly supervision with the Bronx Regional Director.
· Attends internal & external meetings, as needed.
· Other duties as directed
- Master’s Degree in psychology, social work, or related field
· A minimum of 4 years work experience in a client-facing, nonprofit organization.
· Familiarity working with survivors of domestic violence and/or homelessness.
· Must be responsible, flexible, a self-starter, able to work independently and respond appropriately in crises.
· Excellent communication and organizational skills.
Preferred candidates will have:
· Comprehensive knowledge of benefits, entitlements and services offered in NYC.
- Experience with Trauma-Informed Care and Motivational Interviewing.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people are encouraged to apply. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Email resume and cover letter to New Destiny at [email protected] include “Tenant Support Coordinator” in the subject line.
New Destiny Housing Corporation