|Job Category:||Administrative, Executive, Legal, Policy/Advocacy, Programs/Services|
|Job Sectors:||Human Services, Other|
New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of violence for low-income families and individuals experiencing homelessness and domestic violence by connecting them to safe, permanent housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing; and works to expand access to permanent housing resources for survivors. New Destiny is the largest provider of supportive housing for domestic violence survivors in New York and is a leading advocate in the effort to obtain the housing-based resources needed to end family homelessness in New York City.
New Destiny is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization seeking to hire talented, mission-driven individuals, eager to be part of a rapidly growing team. The organization is searching for a General Counsel to manage all legal affairs of the organization and provide legal advice and guidance to the board of directors, executive team and staff. This will include reviewing, researching, interpreting, and preparing written and verbal advice on a variety of legal issues.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the General Counsel’s responsibilities will include:
· Coordinating and managing all litigation related matters.
· Drafting and/or reviewing and negotiating contracts and other transactions for New Destiny and its affiliate organizations, including government contracts, insurance policies, leases, MOUs and Letters of Intent.
· Serving as legal advisor to Human Resources, ensuring New Destiny remains in compliance with all labor laws, and advising on all employee benefits and HR policies and procedures, including the Employee Handbook.
· Providing legal advice and direct support to leadership and HR on all employment related issues.
· Advising on legal rights and requirements under new and existing laws and regulations affecting New Destiny operations, building maintenance and operations, and housing development.
· Working with the Development and Communications staff to ensure compliance with charitable solicitations. Also proving counsel on media and social media issues as needed.
· Procuring and managing pro bono and other outside lawyers as needed, including serving as liaison with outside real estate development attorneys.
· Overseeing corporate governance issues for New Destiny and its affiliates.
· Serving as a member of the executive management team.
· Providing assistance as needed to leadership and Advocacy staff on domestic violence, housing and homelessness related legislation.
· Ensuring that the organization is in compliance with all lobbying requirements.
· Drafting and reviewing program related legal documents including but not limited to client release forms and confidentiality agreements.
· Reviewing and evaluating compliance issues and concerns within the organization, identifying any potential gaps and working with staff to ensure resolution.
· Support the executive team and program staff to ensure compliance with all grant and program contracts.
· Must have a J.D. degree from an accredited law school and be a member in good standing of the New York State Bar.
· 7-10 years of relevant legal experience required with a strong preference for experience in the non-profit or public sector and/or real estate development field
· Candidate should have excellent knowledge and experience on a wide range of legal issues including employment law, housing development, and non-profit governance. Legislative experience a plus.
· Must have the ability to develop and implement legal strategy and objectives and a proven track record of successfully managing multiple projects, meeting deadlines and solving problems in a collaborative manner.
· Successful candidate must be able to demonstrate exceptional judgment and discretion.
· As a small but growing, multi-faceted organization, creativity and resourcefulness is a must.
· Must be able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
· Candidate must be mission-driven and committed to work in an organization that prioritizes diversity, equity and inclusion.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills a must, with a strong attention to detail.
New Destiny is committed to the safety of all employees, tenants and clients within our organization and programs. In accordance with New York City’s vaccine mandate for the City workforce and employees of organizations with human services contracts, this position requires candidates to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or evidence of starting the process of becoming fully vaccinated before beginning their employment. This organization will consider accommodation for bona fide medical or a sincerely held religious, moral, or ethical belief.
New Destiny has a hybrid work model. Benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with experience.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. Survivors of domestic violence and people who have experienced housing instability are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “General Counsel” in the subject line.
New Destiny Housing Corporation
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com