Director of Housing Stability Services
New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of violence for low-income families and individuals experiencing homelessness and domestic violence by connecting them to safe, permanent housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing and expands access to permanent housing resources for survivors.
Housing Stability Services is a new unit born out of the recognition that securing permanent housing is the first goal but maintaining housing and thriving is equally important. The households placed in permanent housing by New Destiny’s rapid rehousing program, HousingLink, or into New Destiny’s supportive and affordable buildings, would benefit from additional resources to: (1) strengthen their ability to access housing; (2) help sustain their housing security and (3) create pathways to long term stability and growth. The Director of Housing Stability Services oversees a department of ten professional staff who work with domestic violence survivors by providing supportive services and referrals to maximize their ability to attain and maintain permanent, affordable housing. This includes referrals to New Destiny’s internal coaching services.
Since 99% of survivors experience financial abuse, New Destiny identified financial coaching as a needed service to help survivors to address financial issues, establish savings and develop long term financial goals. Additionally, the negative impact of homelessness, poverty and/or domestic violence has on mental and physical health is well documented so health and wellness coaching will be offered to improve health outcomes. In addition, as a result of the complicated and cyclical nature of domestic violence survivors may need clinical support after they move in to permanent housing.
The Director of Housing Stability Services will be tasked with building out the operational structure for two these two new areas – Financial Coaching and Health & Wellness Coaching. This will involve working with colleagues to develop/refine assessments as well as facilitating the integration of these services within existing programs.
The qualified candidate will report directly to the Deputy Executive Director.
· Work closely with the Director of Housing Access to develop a seamless process flow for clients to access Housing Stability Services.
· Ensure that the program is operating in conformance with all applicable grant agreements and meeting program milestones.
· Build a multi-disciplinary team that can implement programming effectively while working in multiple locations.
· Collaborate with the Deputy Executive Director, Director of Housing Access and New Destiny’s finance team to develop and adjust the program budget.
· Ensure proper administration of rental assistance and supportive services payment requests by Housing Stability Services staff.
Case Management Supervision
· Where appropriate, coordinate with staff in the development, implementation and evaluation of individual, complex case management plans.
· Train staff to conduct comprehensive, trauma informed, culturally sensitive needs assessments for survivors of domestic violence
· Regularly review assessments and tools used by staff including relevant data to modify training and/or adapt assessments as needed.
· Maintain knowledge of community resources and ensure staff have access to up-to-date information.
· Train staff to facilitate referrals as necessary and advocate for clients with other community-based organizations and governmental agencies as appropriate.
· Provide case conferencing support as needed for clients at high risk of housing instability.
Financial/Health & Wellness Coaching Oversight
· Leveraging internal expertise and published research, create core curriculum for Financial Coaching including, but not limited to, developing household budgets, credit building, debt management, affordable banking options, savings plans and referrals to small business programs.
· In collaboration with Coaching staff, develop internal and external training materials.
· Conduct internal and external research to identify health and wellness programs most beneficial to survivors and their children.
· Utilizing results from research, identify/develop and implement programs.
Policy and Advocacy
· Leverage on the ground experience in housing domestic violence survivors to shape New Destiny’s annual policy agenda and strategic policy initiatives
· Actively participate in housing, domestic violence, and related conferences, working groups, and taskforces around New York City.
· Support the development of relationships, alliances, and resources to support advocacy efforts.
Data, Evaluation & Reporting
· Work with the Data and Evaluation Manager to regularly monitor and review staff data entry for accuracy and completeness and to identify data quality issues
· Work with the Data and Evaluation Manager, Program and Executive Leadership to design metrics that demonstrate program efficacy.
· Regularly review progress on program goals and objectives and provide reports as needed.
Other responsibilities as appropriate.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Strong preference for Master’s degree in Social Work, Licensed Mental Health Counseling, or a related clinical field. Ideal candidate would be SIFI certified.
· Minimum of 5-7 years’ work experience in program and staff management is required.
· Keen ability to negotiate, prioritize goals, and bring together parties with different perspectives around a common goal is essential.
· Expertise in assisting families effectively through crises particularly those related to the experience of domestic violence.
· Demonstrated experience in working with and engaging hard-to-reach populations impacted by trauma, poverty, complex stressors, violence, mental health, etc.
· Working knowledge of public benefits, primarily housing subsidies and public assistance, is critical.
· Experience using data to monitor and evaluate program performance
· Other requirements include excellent speaking and writing skills, sound judgment and professionalism, tenacity and commitment, and the ability to work independently and take initiative.
New Destiny is committed to the safety of all employees and clients within our organization and programs. In accordance with New York City’s vaccine mandate for the City workforce and employees of organizations with human services contracts, this position requires candidates to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or evidence of starting the process of becoming fully vaccinated before beginning their employment. This organization will consider accommodations for bona fide medical or a sincerely held religious, moral, or ethical belief.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender, and survivors or people with lived experience are encouraged to apply.
Salary is in the mid $70,000s to $80,000 range. Excellent benefits.
This position offers a hybrid schedule which allows for two work from home days per week.
Email resume and cover letter to New Destiny at [email protected] including “Director of Housing Stability Services” in the subject line.
New Destiny Housing Corporation