Formed in 2005, the Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn BID supports a vibrant, neighborhood commercial corridor that serves a diverse community of property owners, businesses, residents, workers, and visitors. The BID does this by maintaining a clean and safe environment, marketing district assets, advocating for our small business community, planning & undertaking urban improvements, producing cultural and community programming, and promoting local hiring.
Our organization fosters an inclusive vibrant community anchored by Myrtle Avenue. We do this by engaging and supporting our neighbors, cultivating partnerships, building community capacity, identifying needs and providing services that connect our neighbors to resources and opportunities.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Marketing & Events Manager will be responsible for the BID’s external communication and marketing efforts, as well as event production. This position will directly report to the Executive Director and include collaboration with other Myrtle Avenue staff, local businesses and community partners to effectively communicate the BID’s work and to promote the District’s assets. The Manager will be responsible for creating content for and managing the BID’s various marketing digital channels and printed collateral, including daily management of the organization’s social media channels. Additionally, producing BID-sponsored events that provide programming that highlights local culture and free events that are community-focused.
The successful candidate can handle multiple challenges simultaneously, communicate comfortably and effectively with a variety of audiences, and uphold the organization’s core values: caring, innovation, community engagement, equity, and collaboration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage production of the BID’s annual events and series – from initial planning to day-of production – including but not limited to summer plaza event series, summer walking tours, holiday season events, and Black Artstory Month
- Assist the Executive Director in securing sponsors for certain events and series
Marketing + Communications:
- Manage the organization’s day-to-day marketing efforts that promote the district, its businesses, local resources, and the BID’s programs and services via the organization’s social media pages, website, and through printed materials
- Employ strong copywriting skills and be able to maintain consistent voice across marketing and communication platforms
- Develop innovative marketing campaigns that will include digital and print collateral (ex: Women’s History, It’s on Myrtle, Age-Friendly Myrtle)
- Work with staff to ensure the organization’s programs, services, and activities are being effectively promoted to the community
- Creating marketing plans and manage the creation of collateral for specific programs, initiatives, and events
- Assist with the creation and dissemination of press releases, maintain press contact lists, and track media coverage
- Create and disseminate e-newsletters via Mailchimp (2+ per month)
- Identify new strategies and tools to communicate with the BID’s core audiences (small businesses, property owners, residents)
- Manage and collaborate with external consultants in the production and distribution of various marketing materials, both print and digital
- With the Executive Director, evaluate activities to ensure that objectives and milestones are being met in a timely and effective manner
- Manage external consultants, such as event producers, graphic designers, photographers and PR firms, when necessary
- Manage and support the part-time Marketing and Events Associate, who is tasked with assisting on marketing and events projects
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years in a related area, plus the following skills:
- Advanced proficiency in Word, Excel, Adobe InDesign and Illustrator, and online platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, MailChimp and WordPress
- An eye for quality visual design and good photography; photography skills a plus
- Experience with planning and staging small-scale events
- Exceptional communication skills – particularly written – with a strong ability for storytelling
- Resourceful and with strong problem-solving abilities
- Detail-oriented and meticulous about quality and accuracy
- Possesses a collaborative spirit, and a willingness to dig in to ensure the project progresses forward
- Creative, curious, fast learner, who takes initiative
- Warm, professional, engaging manner in dealing with the public, partners and colleagues
- Experience working in a small office environment, preferably in a nonprofit organization
- An interest in working with and serving a highly diverse community, while being sensitive to its history of change, which includes sustained displacement and gentrification
Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership, 472 Myrtle Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11205.
Full-time, 35 hours per week. This position will require some evening and weekend availability. Schedule flexibility may be available.
Some outdoor work will be required. Event and project support in the form of transport of heavy/bulky items will be necessary at times.
Competitive small non-profit salary plus a full benefits package, including health insurance, 20 days of annual leave (increases with tenure), annual professional development funds, retirement plan with 3% match (after first full year of employment), and discounted Citi Bike membership.
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by September 9, 2019. Please include “Marketing & Events Manager” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please.
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
The Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.