Civic Education and Advocacy Program Coordinator
|Job Category:||Policy/Advocacy, Programs/Services|
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement, Religious|
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the civic education and advocacy program at MCN, a program that aims to build the civic leadership of Muslim New Yorkers and advocates on issues important to the Muslim community in our city and nation.
● Design and conduct civics education workshops and the role of faith communities that promote informed participation in the democratic process at local mosques and community centers;
● Develop and implement leadership development trainings to build valuable leadership skills, such as root cause analysis, community organizing and conflict resolution; develop participants’ confidence and identity as leaders.
● Participate in advocacy campaigns and initiatives at the local, state, and nationwide level to elevate MCN’s advocacy positions on issues pertaining to the Muslim community.
● Work with MCN staff to coordinate program logistics and content and to ensure effective and timely implementation of program objectives.
● Connect with community leaders, professionals, organizations and other stakeholders to foster and maintain positive relationships and recruit participation as guest speakers and to advertise the Community Education programs.
● Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director – i.e. gala planning help; volunteer coordination; project evaluation and progress tracking.
● Strong knowledge and experience in community organizing, public policy processes, and advocacy campaigns
● Minimum 2+ years’ experience in running programs and workshops and experience developing and delivering relevant curricula, workshops, activities.
● Team player and good attitude, and comfort in public speaking
● Experience working with diverse religious congregations and racial/ethnic communities.
● Excellent organization and time management skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines, with a value for accountability and transparency.
● Strong written and oral communication skills.
● Able to work independently and provide program updates and deliverables with limited supervision, as well as part of a strong team.
● Comfort in a fast-paced, growing organization.
● Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Social Work or similar.
● Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, and inspire community members across religion, race, gender, age, language, class and experience;
● Cultural competence and knowledge of/ sensitivity to faith communities and communities of color on social justice issues;
● Capacity to think strategically and analytically about social, economic, cultural, and political issues affecting a community;
● Experience in community organizing, advocacy campaigns, Get Out the Vote or similar initiatives;
● Ability to speak at least one other language, preferably Arabic, French, or Hindi/ Urdu.
● Proficient with MS Office Suite, Google docs, social media platforms.
Muslim Community Network
- 110 Wall Street
- New York, New York 10005
- United States of America
- Phone: 6466615422