Director, HR & Operations
Matriculate’s mission is to empower high-achieving high school students from low-income backgrounds to make the leap to our nation’s top colleges and universities. Our vision is that one day all the best students in America will have access to and be supported at top colleges—regardless of their income or background—which will give them a unique opportunity to change the trajectory of their lives and the lives of their families.
Matriculate empowers teams of undergraduates to provide free virtual college advising to high-achieving high school juniors and seniors from low?income backgrounds. Equipped with more than 50 hours of training, undergraduate Advising Fellows provide the information, guidance, and support that these high school students need to apply to, gain admission at, and excel in the best institutions. Matriculate is working to build an America in which all talented students have a fair shot at top colleges and universities long reserved primarily for the elite.
Matriculate is a founding partner of Bloomberg Philanthropies’ college access and success initiative called CollegePoint, which aims to help as many as 65,000 students to apply to, enroll in, and graduate from the best colleges and universities.
Matriculate is committed to partnering with communities of staff, high school students, and undergraduate Advising Fellows to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We seek to build a team that is active in contributing to advancing and sustaining a culture in which all lived experiences are welcome.
The Director, HR & Operations is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of Matriculate’s human resources and operations policies, objectives, and initiatives. Reporting to the VP of Finance and Administration and working closely with the rest of the Matriculate team, this position ensures that internal initiatives support the organization’s stated values and help achieve its mission and vision.
The Director, HR & Operations positively influences decisions to improve organizational culture and supports the leadership team to create an inclusive culture in which all employees embrace our core values and embody Matriculate’s organization-wide principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. This position ensures that operations, human resources, and IT infrastructure is in place to support the organization’s evolving programmatic and administrative needs.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits package.
The Director, HR & Operations’ responsibilities include:
- Design and innovate HR practices related to hiring, onboarding and off boarding and performance review processes. Ensure that approaches are DEI-led, and reflect industry best practices and Matriculate’s core values and employer brand.
- Design tools and conduct trainings to support people managers and increase internal subject matter expertise on HR topics. Provide coaching and individual support, as needed.
- Develop creative, robust short- and long-term strategies and identify resources for employee recognition and retention
- Oversee benefits and leave in collaboration with the organization’s PEO. Serve as primary liaison to vendor.
- Develop, review, and revise HR policies, procedures, and manuals to reflect the current organizational structure and needs.
- Manage human resources records, ensuring compliance with legal, auditing, and funder requirements
- Maintain and expand knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal and state laws/regulations and evolving practices affecting HR management
- Develop, document and maintain robust operations processes, including IT and Facilities management.
- Ensure communication and technology needs of the organization and staff are met. Implement IT strategy and identify external resources to support enhanced cybersecurity and systems management
- Lead the reopening of a physical office and transition to a hybrid workforce, including managing logistics and team communications.
- Develop strategy and practices for a hybrid work environment, and change management measures to ensure continued inclusivity and equity for both remote and local staff members.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Matriculate
- Five or more years of relevant human resources and operations related experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Bachelors in a related field e.g. HR, Organizational Development, Business Management
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people, communicate clear expectations, and support an inclusive and collaborative team culture that fosters openness and trust
- Forward-thinking mindset and experience designing industry?leading, best practice HR and operations tools and processes
- Proven effectiveness managing others, leading a team, and supporting employees’ professional development. Excellent strategic reasoning and critical thinking ability.
- Resourcefulness and creativity in proposing ideas, soliciting feedback, and gaining buy-in from others.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills necessary to build relationships, collaborate in a diverse and dynamic team environment, and handle stressful, complex and confidential situations calmly and appropriately.
- Advanced knowledge of employment-related laws and expertise related to payroll, taxes, and benefits administration
- High degree of personal initiative and capacity to balance the demands of day-to-day work with the need to drive long-term projects
- Excellent verbal and written skills in communicating key data to all levels, including presentations to senior staff, the Board, or other outside partners
- Excellent judgment and impeccable integrity
New York, NY. Matriculate’s staff are currently remote until we are able to safely re-open a physical office in Fall 2022. When we do reopen, all staff will be hybrid, working remotely and in person.
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition, Matriculate offers a comprehensive benefits package. Salary range: $78,000-$104,000
Submit an email with the following details and attachments to [email protected] Attach PDF versions of:
- A tailored cover letter
- A resume
Update the subject line to: “Director, HR & Operations – [your name]”
Applications that are not submitted in accordance with these instructions or are missing documents will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
Matriculate is committed to partnering with communities of staff, high school students, and undergraduate Advising Fellows to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We seek team members who will be active contributors to advancing and sustaining a culture in which all lived experiences are welcome.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com