Matriculate’s mission is to empower high-achieving high school students from low-income backgrounds to make the leap to our nation’s top colleges and universities. Our vision is that one day all the best students in America will have access to and be supported at top colleges—regardless of their income or background—which will give them a unique opportunity to change the trajectory of their lives and the lives of their families.
Matriculate empowers teams of undergraduates to provide free virtual college advising to high-achieving high school juniors and seniors from low?income backgrounds. Equipped with more than 50 hours of training, undergraduate Advising Fellows provide the information, guidance, and support that these high school students need to apply to, gain admission at, and excel in the best institutions.
Matriculate is working to build an America in which all talented students have a fair shot at top colleges and universities long reserved primarily for the elite. Matriculate is a founding partner of Bloomberg Philanthropies’ college access and success initiative called CollegePoint, which aims to help as many as 65,000 students to apply to, enroll in, and graduate from the best colleges and universities.
Matriculate is committed to partnering with communities of staff, high school students, and undergraduate Advising Fellows to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We seek to build a team that is active in contributing to advancing and sustaining a culture in which all lived experiences are welcome.
The Director of Finance is responsible for managing all aspects of Matriculate’s financial activities. Reporting to the VP, Finance and Administration and working closely with the rest of the Matriculate team, the Director of Finance will be responsible for the management and implementation of financial functions at Matriculate including but not limited to preparing, reviewing and tracking organizational and department budgets, and overseeing cash flow.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits package
The Director of Finance’s responsibilities include:
- Oversee Matriculate’s finances including the review and approval of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the CEO.
- Manage financial forecasting, cash flow, and coordination of audit activities, as well as accounts payable and receivable
- Develop tools and strategies to ensure Matriculate’s financial management reflects industry best practices
- Work closely with Revenue team to ensure alignment between revenue and expenses and to oversee restricted grants tracking processes
- Develop and maintain financial accounting policies and procedures that ensure strong internal controls, timeliness, and compliance
- Oversee the month-end closing process and lead the fiscal year-end close out activities
- Manage and maximize outsourced finance team
- Lead monthly meetings with budget owners to closely monitor against the budget and troubleshoot workflow issues
- Develop training tools and measures to ensure broad accountability
- Maintain awareness of regulatory changes and ensure the organization is compliant with GAAP, tax, and other regulatory requirements.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Matriculate
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required
- Minimum of 5 years work experience with accounting and financial management
- Experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for nonprofit organizations with multiple funding sources
- Experience working with accounting software and ability to anticipate infrastructure and software needs
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP including the accounting cycle, monthly and year end closing, financial reporting and analysis. Experience with chart of accounts is preferred.
- Excellent analytical, strategic thinking, and abstract reasoning skills
- Agility with standard office software tools (including advanced Excel skills), email, and internet tools (including Google Suite)
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity in suggesting and researching relevant new industry best practices
- Ability to present complex financial information in a clear manner to senior leadership, Board members, and staff
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills necessary to build relationships and collaborate in a diverse and dynamic team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Excellent judgment and impeccable integrity
New York, NY. Matriculate’s staff are currently remote until we are able to safely re-open a physical office in Fall 2022. When we do reopen, all staff will be hybrid, working remotely and in person.
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition, Matriculate offers a comprehensive benefits package. Salary range: $78,000-$104,000
Submit an email with the following details and attachments to [email protected]. Attach PDF versions of:
- A tailored cover letter
- A resume
Update the subject line to: “Director, Finance – [your name]”
Applications that are not submitted in accordance with these instructions or are missing documents will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
Matriculate is committed to partnering with communities of staff, high school students, and undergraduate Advising Fellows to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We seek team members who will be active contributors to advancing and sustaining a culture in which all lived experiences are welcome.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply