Assistant Director of Development
This is a new position for MNN. We’re looking for someone who will be excited about helping build a development program from the ground up with a focus on institutional and city funding. A passion for community media and media education in particular is a plus.
The Assistant Director of Development will be critical to developing MNN’s capacity to secure support that sustains the organization and expands its long-term impact.
This individual will supervise all development activities and will report to the Director of Marketing & Development. Responsibilities include supervising the Development Manager and together: staff the board and MNN leadership in funding presentations, meetings, and solicitations, create and monitor appeals, plan and execute development events, and conduct personal individual outreach. Together with the Development Manager, the department will build the portfolio, manage the workflow, supervise the preparation of narrative and financial materials, and develop systems and processes to increase efficiency.
As part of the development team, the Asst. Director of Development will assist in applying for and managing grants. The ideal candidate has familiarity with New York-based grantmakers, the NYC budget and grant process, and demonstrated success in fundraising. They are driven and capable of translating MNN’s mission into compelling cases for support.
This position is based in Manhattan, New York and is on-site only.
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Development and MNN leadership to develop donor and prospect cultivation and solicitation and implement a fundraising strategy.
- Supervise grant calendar and coordinate MNN staff workflow to ensure timely submission of proposals, reports, and other funder-related deliverables.
- Plan and execute all aspects of special events for donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Supervise internal processes, including database management with accurate recording of gifts and prospect information.
- Conduct prospect research to identify potential institutional (foundation, corporations, and government entities) and individual donor capacity and support strategic approach to outreach, donor cultivation, and solicitation.
- Write email outreach, letters of inquiry, and proposals; collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Development and other staff to create collateral to amplify donor support.
- Support senior leadership with introductory calls and preparation for meetings with potential donors (provide background briefings, talking points, and other relevant materials).
- Support other areas of development as necessary, such as managing invitation lists, drafting event talking points, and preparing event follow-up communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
We encourage you to apply to this posting even if you do not meet every single qualification listed here.
· Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
· 5–7 years experience in nonprofit fundraising.
· Excellent communication, storytelling, and writing skills.
· The ability to work both independently and collaboratively across the organization.
· A creative thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Detail-oriented with exceptional organizational and time-management skills.
· Experience with Salesforce a plus.
Benefits & Compensation:
· Comprehensive benefits package
· Salary commensurate with experience
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Send CV/resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the subject line, please write Assistant Director of Development
We will review applications until the position is filled.
Due to volume, we may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls, please.
People from BIPOC, LGBT+, working class, and/or other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN)
Established in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) empowers local voices and diverse views by providing free and accessible media training in its state-of-the-art facilities in midtown Manhattan and at the El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center in East Harlem.
MNN is New York City’s largest media education organization, providing classes and training for those for whom a traditional film school is not an option, people of all ages looking to learn new skills, committed storytellers looking for skills improvement, and social justice artists and activists wanting to produce media that affects change, and more. Over half of MNN’s students come from zip codes with a median family income of less than $75,000 per year, with about 10 percent coming from zip codes earning less than $36,000 annually.
MNN also provides a production and cable broadcast platform for all Manhattanites, giving voice to individuals from all backgrounds, faiths, origins, cultures, identities, and abilities. Using MNN’s facilities, over 500 Manhattan media-makers produce content covering issues from local arts to news affecting countless diaspora communities represented in Manhattan. In 2019, MNN aired nearly 10,000 hours of local programming to over 500,000 Manhattan households; many of these were amplified by MNN’s national partnerships, bringing programming to another 20 million households across the country. MNN also produces content and gives a platform to any New York City–based political candidate who chooses to participate—designed to inspire community members and drive civic participation.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network
- 537 West 59th St
- New York, New York 10019