Group Facilitator (LEAP)
Independent Contractor for a seven-month period (October-April)
Facilitator for bi-weekly virtual group sessions for young adult parents completing their High School Equivalency and transitioning to college
WHO WE ARE: Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum also incorporates child development and parenting support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and social-emotional growth.
The Leadership in Education and Parenting (LEAP) program is designed to develop the leadership skills of young parent-scholars in the Future Now program at Bronx Community College who are working to obtain their High School Equivalency diplomas (HSE) and transition successfully to college. LEAP employs a two-generation approach that bolsters the responsive parenting strategies of young mothers and supports their achievement of meaningful academic success. By focusing on parent-scholars and their children simultaneously, participants will be empowered to lay the groundwork to break cycles of historical trauma and lift their families out of poverty.
WHO WE NEED: We are looking for a dynamic youth-oriented facilitator to lead two virtual classes a week and work with Literacy Partners and Future Now to create a support network for students within and beyond the formal classroom. The ideal candidate would be a passionate advocate for education as a key social justice strategy, have a deep understanding of trauma-informed approaches and community-based organizing and be committed to collaboration and innovation to empower women to be agents of change in their communities.
WHAT YOU WOULD DO: Specifically, the Facilitator will co-coordinate and co-facilitate the Spring and Fall 2020 sessions of LPI’s Leadership Education and Parenting (LEAP) program, revise the curriculum as needed, and work in partnership with Future Now to execute a program that achieves the following goals:
- Increase academic success of students who are parents as measured by all the metrics tracked by Future Now (HSE passing rates, college admission, remedials, etc.); and
- Help student parents to promote their children’s healthy development and early literacy.
Session Coordination and Facilitation
- Lead all sessions 2:00-3:30 Monday/Wednesday (virtual) for two 6-8 week cohorts Oct-Dec; Feb-April
- With Future Now, implement retention strategies to keep students engaged and in full attendance and convene Orientation and Celebration
- Oversee and mentor Alumni Facilitator during sessions
- Communicate and coordinate with Future Now for logistical and operational needs, as well as matters related to the students
- Prepare weekly debriefing reports
Compensation $10,000.00 for contract period (October – April); all technology provided by contractor
CONTACT: [email protected] for more information or to submit a resume and cover letter.
Literacy Partners, Inc.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com