Director of Development
|Job Sectors:||Human Services, Other|
About Lawyers for Children
At Lawyers for Children (LFC), our mission is to give children in foster care a voice in the decisions that will change their lives. Since 1984, LFC has provided free legal and social work services to New York City children in crisis, including children suffering abuse & neglect, children in foster care and children in high-conflict custody cases. LFC’s nationally-recognized model provides each client with an advocacy team consisting of both a lawyer and a social worker, on every case. From our experience in individual cases, LFC compels changes within the child welfare system through impact litigation and policy reform efforts. LFC also houses numerous innovative special projects that have advanced the rights and visibility of LGBTQ youth, young people with mental illness, victims of sex trafficking, youth aging out of foster care, and immigrant youth.
For more information on LFC, please visit our website: www.lawyersforchildren.org
LFC is seeking a forward-thinking, bold, and creative Director of Development to help ensure the longevity and resiliency of our organization by developing and leading an ambitious long-term fundraising strategy. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Executive Team, and Board of Directors to set annual fundraising goals and propose effective strategies to meet them. Additionally, they will work with the Director of Communications and key project directors to craft and refine a narrative that highlights the impact of LFC’s work in the communities that we serve. As a member of LFC’s leadership team the Director of Development will also play a key role in helping to define the future direction of LFC while exemplifying its mission, values, and values-led culture.
As a seasoned development professional, the ideal candidate should possess the skills and experience to complete the following responsibilities:
Design and Lead Development Strategy
- In collaboration with the ED and CFO, develop and lead implementation of a robust multi-year fund development strategy and annual action plans consistent with LFC’s overall strategic goals.
- Inform and engage organizational planning and forecasting as a member of LFC’s leadership team, and serve as a strategic advisor and thought partner for the Executive Team and Board of Directors for development- related issues and opportunities.
- Liaise and coordinate interdepartmental activities that support LFC’s overall fund development strategy including reporting, data collection, and fund prospecting.
- Assist the Director of Communication with the creation of an organizational marketing strategy including creation of collateral messaging that protects and enhances LFC’s brand integrity and reputation.
Donor Stewardship and External Relationship Management
- In collaboration with the Executive Team and Board of Directors, create and cultivate a multi-level donor pipeline with an emphasis on securing major gifts, optimizing planned giving, increasing the number of new donors, and generating continuous levels of philanthropic support.
- Maintain communication with existing and prospective donors, ensuring that they are well-informed of LFC’s impact, fully abreast of and engaged with the work of the organization, and acknowledged and appreciated for their contributions in a timely and consistent manner.
- Prospect non-traditional opportunities with an emphasis on cultivating relationships with corporate entities including, but not limited to, law firms and major corporations.
- Identify and build strategic partnerships to generate high-impact results that can be used to leverage grant and contract-based funding opportunities, as well as attract new donors.
People, Systems, and Infrastructure
- Maintain accountability and ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, as well as the code of ethics for fundraising professionals.
- Stay abreast of current trends, technology, and practices in fund development and make recommendations for improvements to LFC’s existing processes and systems to ensure the organization remains competitive and attractive to donors and funders.
- Manage and support a small but growing Development department staff consistent with LFC’s values and culture.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of achievement and growth as strategist in the field of fund development. Additionally, the ideal the candidate will have a minimum of 5 years experience in high-level nonprofit fundraising leadership and management with demonstrable success driving all major fundraising functions. The ideal candidate should be collaborative, entrepreneurial, and possess the ability to build strong partnerships, network with new and existing stakeholders and have the following core competencies:
- Mission-Driven: The ideal candidate will have a strong passion for LFC’s mission and will be committed to the vision, values, and culture of the organization. They will be future-oriented and continuously focused on how to best position LFC as a leader in the sector. This leader must possess a high level of intersectional cultural competency, as LFC represents youth and engages stakeholders from a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities, and must see themselves as a champion of the causes and issues that LFC addresses.
- Entrepreneurial and Strategic Leadership: The Director of Development will be a strategic thinker with the vision, capacity, and experience to understand and balance the complex array of fundraising needs and priorities at LFC. The candidate will be a systems thinker, able to think analytically while making practical data-driven decisions in a timely and thoughtful manner.
- Persuasive Communicator: The Director of Development will be an adept communicator who inspires, educates, and positively influences LFC stakeholders both internally and externally. As a member of the LFC leadership team, the candidate will provide information to their colleagues, Board of Directors, donors, and other stakeholders in a clear, accurate, and concise manner. They will have the ability to tailor messaging to meet the needs of different audiences, have superb writing and active listening skills. Additionally, they should have knowledge of basic marketing and communication practices and tools.
- Strong Relationship Building and Management: This leader will be highly skilled at building and sustaining relationships externally with donors, philanthropic partners, sister agencies, as well as the LFC staff internally across the organization. The Director of Development will possess sharp influencing skills that will allow them to persuade others, gain buy-in, and strengthen LFC’s donor base. They will have the proven ability to build, support, coach and maintain a solid team of development professionals that is results-oriented, mission-led, and strives for accountability, efficiency, and driving impact.
Compensation and Benefits
Lawyers for Children offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Please submit a detailed cover letter, chronological resume and three professional references to [email protected] with “Director of Development (last, first name)” in the subject line by Friday February 28, 2020. Please no phone calls.
Lawyers For Children
Protecting rights. Changing lives.
- 110 Lafayette Street, Fl 8
- New York, NY 10013
- Phone: 212-966-6420