Data Science Research Fellowship
|Job Sectors:||Human Services|
Data Science Research Fellowship, Higher Education Finance
New York // Part Time
The Higher Education Finance (HEF) research team at JFI is examining the supply side of the higher education market and looking at new ways to quantify access and cost. JFI will utilize these new research tools to inform the student debt dialogue.
JFI is an applied social science research organization. Our work investigates and influences the structural forces of society. Our interdisciplinary team collaborates with industry, government, and academia to pilot scalable, high-impact interventions. The research fellow will join a small team of practitioners with backgrounds in normative ethics, economics, decision theory, public policy, data science, education policy, finance, and philosophy and will work closely with JFI’s HEF Project Lead and team.
The fellowship carries a monthly stipend of $2,500 for approximately 20–25 hours of work per week over six months.
Those interested should send the following to [email protected]
1) CV or résumé with contact information,
2) a letter of interest;
3) a project sample (product or code)
Only applicants with all submission materials will be considered.
Submit your materials at your earliest convenience, as submissions are considered on a rolling basis.
The fellow’s tasks will include:
❏ Cleaning, wrangling, and analyzing confidential data pertaining to the student debt crisis
❏ Creating visualizations and summary statistics
❏ Writing/summarizing/documenting data capabilities or conclusions for non-econometrics readers
● Expertise in data manipulations and visualizations
● Expertise in statistical programming using R or Python; Stata a plus.
● Expertise and interest in higher education research – access, affordability, accountability, and financing aspects.
● Time-management and presentation skills
● Knowledge in finance, econometrics, experimental and quasi-experimental design and causal inference a plus
● Familiarity with ETL.
● Familiarity with the supply side of the HEF market
● Strong background in econometrics and data manipulation
● Demonstrated experience as a research assistant or comparable experience in applied research
❏ Monthly stipend of $2,500 paid in semi-monthly installments of $1,250
❏ Opportunities to meet with leading scholars, policy experts, and business leaders
❏ Dependent upon the success of the project, the fellowship may be extended a further six months.
The Jain Family Institute is a research incubator that builds promising ideas into real-world pilots. Our work investigates and influences the structural forces that affect the way people live, work, and learn. Our team collaborates with industry, government, and academia to pilot scalable, high-impact interventions.
For details about our staff and current projects, see http://www.jainfamilyinstitute.org/.
Jain Family Institute
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org