Administrative, Finance, Other, Programs/Services
HousingPlus Job Description
Director of Finance
Reporting to and supporting the VP, Operations, The Director of Finance is a senior level position that oversees the organization’s finance functions, including government contracts and grants management.
The Director of Finance heads and carries out the duties of the Finance Department and provides accounting expertise to the agency. His/her role is macro – entailing financial planning and management, projections, variance, cash flows, and balance sheet analysis. It is also hands on – including bookkeeping, accounting, budgeting (currently a $12 million budget), payroll, banking, auditing functions and contracts management responsibilities. She/he will be required to thoroughly review and analyze the financial records, paying careful attention to contract compliance and budgetary concerns. The Director of Finance is also responsible for developing and maintaining efficient and effective financial management systems, procedures and processes.
She/he should be able to take initiative with assignments, assist with problem-solving, effectively communicate and organize work duties.
The position will have three direct reports: Senior Accountant, Accountant/Payroll Administrator and Grants Accountant/Grants Manager.
· Work with the VPoO, DED and ED to provide overall leadership for all aspects of the organization’s financial management, planning, reporting and analysis, and setting annual budgets that guide organizational priorities and decision-making
· Oversee the day-to-day management of accounting, financial reporting, contracts management, accounts receivable and accounts payable, cash-flow analysis and the yearly budgeting process
· Ensure compliance with the standards and reporting requirements of external stakeholders, including funders, auditors, donors, foundations and other relevant entities
· Develop and maintain a system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards and procedures and educate and assist staff with the stated policies
· Monitor the process for all government contract vouchering and financial reporting to ensure both timely and accurate submissions and financial compliance. Coordinate with Grants Accountant/ Grants Manager to evaluate and allocate strategically the contract resources to meet program needs
· Establish and manage external vendor relationships for banking and accounting and coordinate contract negotiation and renewals
· Oversee Payroll
· Prepare year-end tax reports including 1099 and 1096 Tax forms; compile information for tax/audit accountants for the filing of 990 returns and A-133 filings
· Support Development department with creation of specific financial information required for funding proposals and reports
· Work closely with the Board Treasurer, finance committee and audit committee
· Other duties as assigned by the VP of Operations
· BA in finance, accounting or related field; MA in finance, accounting or related field preferred
· At least 10 years related professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
· 5-7 years of senior level management experience in finance and administration/operations • Strong non-profit finance experience, including overseeing audits
· Thorough understanding of financial accounting, with demonstrated competencies in substantially all aspects of the role described above
· Experience designing and implementing financial and operational systems and processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of a growing organization
· A track record in grants management
· Extensive working knowledge of business accounting software highly preferred; such as QuickBooks and Fund EZ
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively across departments to accomplish strategic initiatives and improve organizational performance
· Excellent oral and written communications skills, including presenting to the board, committees and staff
· A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
· You are inspired by the mission of HousingPlus and eager to join others working to achieve it
· You are highly self-motivated and driven by a strong work ethic and deep integrity
· You create a positive work environment for those who report to you, fostering teamwork