|Job Sectors:||Human Services|
Reports to: Associate Director, Legal Services
Organization: Her Justice (www.herjustice.org)
Location: 100 Broadway, 10th floor, New York, NY 10005
Her Justice is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal services in to women living in poverty in New York City in family, divorce, and immigration matters. Founded in 1993, Her Justice recruits and mentors volunteer attorneys from the City’s top law firms to provide free legal help to address individual and systemic legal barriers. Our main office is located in Manhattan, and staff members also work out of the New York City Family Justice Centers in the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn. The attorney in this position will be based in our Manhattan office, and will work one or two days a month at one of the Family Justice Centers. Visit our website for more information: www.herjustice.org.
Our matrimonial practice is growing, and we are hiring a junior to mid-level staff attorney who will have the opportunity to help shape both our pro bono and in-house uncontested divorce practice, in a newly-created role. The staff attorney will be the point person for our uncontested divorce pro bono relationships, acting as the subject matter expert to mentor cases with dozens of law firms in New York City. The staff attorney will maintain an in-house case load of divorces with unique and challenging issues, helping us stay at the forefront of divorce trends in the New York City courts. The candidate will ideally have strong experience in family law and matrimonial cases, be able to work both individually and in a close-knit team, have strong organizational skills and/or experience coordinating large programs, and be comfortable interacting with both our clients as well as lawyers at large corporate law firms. Fluency in Spanish or another language is strongly preferred.
- Perform client intake and legal screening of clients at the New York City Family Justice Centers and on the weekly live helpline
- Assess clients for pro bono placement
- Provide advice and brief services to women who are proceeding pro se in family law and matrimonial law matters
- Maintain a small caseload of uncontested divorce cases. Mentor and support volunteer attorneys who are handling uncontested divorces for Her Justice referred clients
- Work with the family/matrimonial team to develop and strengthen Her Justice family/matrimonial practice
- Work with the family/matrimonial team to develop new forms of connecting pro bono attorneys to family/matrimonial matters
- Recruit volunteer attorneys from large law firms to provide pro bono representation to Her Justice referred clients by conducting CLE trainings, and presenting on issues of family/matrimonial law
- Assist in recruiting, training and supervising in-house volunteers and law students
- Assist with preparing grant proposals and reports
- Participate in community outreach, media relations and other forms of marketing and public education
- Serve on committees and panels relating to policy issues and/or reform efforts
- JD degree and bar admission in New York State
- At least 1-3 years of experience handling matrimonial cases in New York State
- Spanish language or other language fluency is strongly preferred
- Experience with family law is preferred
- Experience representing indigent clients, survivors of domestic violence and clients from diverse backgrounds and communities is preferred
- Experience working with pro bono attorneys is preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, inter-personal, communication and leadership skills
- Computer proficiency- Microsoft Office and database systems
Salary range depending on experience and up to mid $60,000’s. Benefits include medical insurance, 401K plan and liberal vacation policy.
Application: Email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Her Justice is an equal opportunity employer
- 100 Broadway, 10th Floor
- New York, New York 10005
- United States
- Phone: 2126953800