Head of Operations
Stone Barns Center seeks an experienced executive to manage the organization’s operations at an exciting point in its history. Having recently celebrated its 15th anniversary, Stone Barns Center, along with our partner Blue Hill, is doubling down on our commitment to shaping an ecological food culture in which every bite we take doesn’t just support good agriculture, but catalyzes systemic change.
The ideal candidate will be a leader with at least 10 years of experience in financial management and organizational systems. The person will be a creative and strategic thinker, able to collaborate and execute on a strategic vision in partnership with the leadership team, including an engaged Board.
This role will be based out of the Stone Barns Center campus in Westchester County, about 25 miles north of New York City, though we are in the process of making a part-time work space also available in Manhattan.
About Stone Barns Center
We are located on an 80 acre campus, which is home to farm and education center anchored by a historic complex of stone farm buildings. The Center came to life through a donation of the buildings and land by the late David Rockefeller and his daughter Peggy Dulany as a tribute to David’s late wife Peggy Rockefeller, who was a pioneer of farmland conservation and worked closely with the regional farming community.
The Center’s programming engages farmers, chefs, and other industry change agents in driving positive global impact by shaping a complex, robust ecological food culture. As we double down on this work we are also in the process of planning a buildout of our campus to support our next phase of learning, teaching and impact.
Head of Operations Responsibilities
The Head of Operations will work closely with the Executive Director / leadership team to support a thriving business and culture with strong organizational systems, professional development capacity, and the ability to be fluid and dynamic in service of Stone Barn’s ambitious vision and goals.
The Head of Operations will oversee the daily operations of the Center and will support team members with a wide range of focus areas including campus facilities, farming, philanthropy, business financials, communications, education, programming, and more.
Specific capabilities / anticipated responsibilities:
- Oversee all operational activities and support functions
- Lead and guide the development of a core leadership team, mostly comprised of director- level staff
- Bridge operational activities and priorities between Stone Barns Center and Blue Hill, including oversight of associated legal, financial, and IP-related considerations
- Collaborate with Executive Director and other key leaders to develop, implement and track progress toward a strategic plan and organizational goals
- Oversee the Center’s finances, including budgeting, business planning, investment firm / activities, and data management
- Ensure adherence to and compliance with all charitable, financial, legal and human resource requirements
- Facilitate a generative, robust workplace culture characterized by a deep set of lived values, including inclusivity, creativity, connectivity, and professional development
- Ensure effective recruitment and on-boarding of incoming staff, as well as incorporating learnings from departing staff
- Proven track record in executive leadership positions, ideally with nonprofit organizations
- Experience in strategic planning and implementation
- A Master’s Degree in business (or equivalent), and/or experience with business plan development
- A collaborative leader with the experience to lead teams of disparate backgrounds and varied expertise through periods of organizational growth
- Commitment to embed and sustain diversity, equity and inclusion within all aspects of the organization
- Exceptional relationship building skills and exemplary work ethic
- A deep personal commitment to the values of health, ecology and sustainability
Stone Barns Center offers a salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401k plan and paid time off.
Please send a resume and cover letter to: [email protected].
Stone Barns Center is committed to equity and inclusion throughout every aspect of our work and team. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
For more information, please visit stonebarnscenter.org
Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture
- 630 Bedford Road
- Pocantico Hills, NY 10591