Managing Director of National JOFEE Programs
|Job Sectors:||Environmental, Religious|
As the Jewish lab for sustainability, Hazon is building a national movement that strengthens Jewish life and contributes to a more environmentally sustainable world for all.
We’re supporting the fast-growing and deeply impactful JOFEE field – Jewish Outdoor, Food, Farming & Environmental Education – through immersive experiences; educating & supporting JOFEE leaders; and catalyzing and convening leaders & organizations.
We now seek an outstanding professional to lead our national JOFEE Programs and help to build this field. We’re looking for someone with drive, focus and people skills, who is mission-aligned and has the capability to further develop and strengthen all of our work.
The position could be based in the New York City office and would include regular communication and coordination with staff based in all of our locations, or it could be based outside of New York with frequent travel to our NY office. The Managing Director of National JOFEE Programs will report to the Executive Vice President and will work closely with Hazon’s CEO and with a wide range of staffers, lay leaders and external stakeholders.
They will supervise our Detroit work, our JOFEE Fellows program and our Hazon Seal of Sustainability, and a range of other smaller projects. They will play a key role in building an integrated suite of programs going forwards and raising the profile of the JOFEE field.
The MD of National JOFEE programs will lead our work in these areas:
- Engage and support a range of JOFEE leaders with an initial focus on alumni of Hazon programs, including the JOFEE Fellowship, Adamah, Teva educators, and Seal of Sustainability;
- Supervising our JOFEE Fellowship, our JOFEE Network Gathering, JOFEE Leaders Institute, and our work with Rabbis.
- Bring to scale the Hazon Seal of Sustainability that supports institutions to commit to specific changes with a focused on food; a key program that is already in more than 60 institutions. We want this program to drive significant change across the American Jewish community in the next decade. Tasks will involve strengthening and streamlining the content; focusing more intently on food systems and on changing the food served in American Jewish institutions; growing very significantly the scale of the program; and working also to develop funding models;
- Develop a new engagement tool, the Brit Hazon, to inspire and support individuals in making specific commitments to environmental change with a particular focus on a more ethical and sustainable food system; this will operate in parallel with the Hazon Seal;
- Supervise Hazon’s work in Detroit, which is intended to be a model for the integration of all of this work;
- Representing the JOFEE field at national gatherings and advocating for the field;
- Develop key partners to further scale the programs and initiatives of Hazon and the JOFEE Movement including around climate – with a focus on food.
- Supervise a team of 9 staff with 5 direct reports;
- Work across departments with development, communications, and immersive JOFEE retreats, in particular the Hazon Food Conference, to create cohesive framework and increase impact.
Who We’re Looking For
- Outstanding communication skills, particularly in articulating the mission of Hazon and the impact of JOFEE experiences. We’re looking for someone who can handle themselves effectively in a very wide range of contexts and audiences;
- Efficient and effective worker who thrives in a fast-paced, high-energy, creative environment;
- Detail-oriented with the ability to take initiative, organize others, oversee multiple details and logistics and communicate clearly and calmly;
- Excellent time management skills for both short-term and long-term planning;
- Emotional intelligence & a positive outlook on life – strong people skills and the capability of working well with a variety of different types of people;
- Someone who is passionate and motivated in relation to these issues, and who has sufficiently strong content knowledge to be able to lead effectively;
- Either a strong Jewish background, or the ability to work comfortably and easily across a wide range of the Jewish community;
- Graduate degree in Jewish education, education, or related field or significant experience leading JOFEE programs including program management and curriculum development, ideally in the JOFEE field or a closely related field;
- 7-10 years of professional experience in a non-profit and/or Jewish organization including as part of a senior management team or similar related experience;
- 4+ years supervisory experience, motivating, and supporting a team or similar related experience.
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to [email protected], with the subject line “MD of National JOFEE Programs”. Salary range is $100-120k, dependent on location, commensurate with experience, and includes a competitive benefits package.
Hazon is strongly committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. Hazon will make all employment decisions for staff and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, alienage, citizenship or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and development, benefits, promotion, demotion transfer, discipline or termination. All Hazon staff, regardless of position, are expected to maintain and live up to the true meaning of nondiscrimination.
The Jewish Lab for Sustainability
- 125 Maiden Lane, Suite 8B
- New York, New York 10038
- United States
- Phone: 2129082511