Seed to Plate Nutrition Educator
For nearly 50 years, GrowNYC has been transforming communities throughout the five boroughs by giving New Yorkers the tools and resources they need to make our city cleaner, healthier, and more sustainable. Whether it’s operating the world-famous Union Square Greenmarket, building a new community garden, teaching young people about the environment, or increasing recycling rates through education, GrowNYC is hard at work in your neighborhood. GrowNYC is a privately-funded 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
Seed to Plate, our nutrition education program for 5th and 6th graders, tells the story of local food and why it’s important for our bodies, the environment, and our community, inspiring healthy food choices and environmental leaders. Reporting directly to the Director for our school gardens program, Grow to Learn, the Seed to Plate Nutrition Educator operates both in the classroom and is a central point of coordination and support for teachers out of school. The Seed to Plate program will serve five schools in different capacities during the fall of 2019.
Nutrition Education Educator Responsibilities:
• Support teachers as they teach Seed to Plate/or teach the curriculum to students for each of the five schools for up to 150 students per grade.
• Coordinate program materials and trips to GrowNYC greenmarkets, farmer visits, and agricultural field trips.
• Obtain, prepare, and deliver program materials including food and cooking supplies from GrowNYC’s office or Greenmarket locations to participating schools.
• Administer and collect evaluation materials to participating teachers and students.
• Experience working with public or charter K-12 Department of Education Schools is a must
• Experience leading cooking programs to elementary school students is a must
• Driver’s license required. Vehicle provided.
• Knowledge of agriculture and the importance of sustainable food sources is a plus.
• Ability to lift and carry supplies up to 50lbs
NOTE: All offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of the Department of Education (DOE) Eligibility Clearance Procedures, which include, but are not limited to, DOE fingerprinting procedures and background investigations.
The seasonal position begins at the end of September and lasts until the end of November. Hours will vary, but there is opportunity for up to 20 hours of work per week. Most hours will fall during school days, Mondays through Fridays, between 7am and 3pm. The position only includes statutory benefits and is paid at a rate of $20 per hour.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to [email protected] with “Seed to Plate Nutrition Educator” in the subject line before September 13, 2019.
GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation. GrowNYC celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com