ZWS Outreach Coordinator Position (F/T)
GrowNYC is a 50 year old environmental nonprofit organization – helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
• Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
• We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop ‘N’ Swaps, and free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
• We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
• We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
About Zero Waste Schools
Since 2010, GrowNYC’s Zero Waste Schools Program (ZWS) has developed model recycling programs and designed unique and engaging educational materials for use at public schools throughout NYC. Working in partnership with the NYC Department of Education (DOE) Office of Sustainability, and the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability, ZWS provides on-the-ground support to NYC public schools newly receiving Organics Collection services from DSNY.
One of the key elements of Mayor de Blasio’s OneNYC 2050 is expanding the country’s largest organics management program, to establish mandatory organics recycling citywide. In the 2019-2020 academic year, city organics collection services expanded to an additional 130 public schools. This program focuses on the tremendous opportunity to reduce landfill waste from schools, as schools have the potential to divert as much as 86% of their waste for recycling and composting through DSNY curbside collections.
ZWS Outreach Coordinator Position (F/T)
The Outreach Coordinator will be reporting to the Director of Zero Waste Schools. The Outreach Coordinator will serve as a key point of contact and support for schools newly receiving DSNY curbside compost collection services. The Outreach Coordinator will work with 10-12 school buildings a year to provide on the ground operational and educational support, engaging all members of a school community in adopting sustainable waste sorting and reduction behaviors.
ZWS Outreach Coordinator Responsibilities
• Perform school-based outreach to ensure school participating in the Organics Collection Program meet or exceed compliance with NYC’s recycling laws and mandates
• Facilitate faculty professional learning and staff trainings
• Cultivate student leadership through the establishment and support of student Green Teams
• Lead student education opportunities, with focus on compost and cafeteria sorting
• Establish communication channels and school stakeholder networks that foster behavior change
• Ensure provided recycling infrastructure and signage is deployed and consistently utilized. Troubleshoot with school staff as necessary
• Review with and train school staff on DOE and DSNY waste management procedures required for compliance with NYC’s recycling laws; reinforce protocols to ensure compliance & proper management of waste
• Coordinate and promote school participation in DSNY Zero Waste Schools website and partner contests/opportunities
• Lead or assist with GrowNYC Zero Waste Schools Program’s participation in events throughout the year
• Timely completion of monthly metrics reports
• Interest in/knowledge about environmental issues with emphasis on recycling and composting
• Proven ability and desire to collaborate with diverse groups of NYC students and staff
• Experience working with k-12 public schools, including lesson plan development
• Strong oral and written communications skills, including experience with public speaking and group facilitation
• Willingness and ability to travel to schools throughout Brooklyn and Queens on a regular basis over the current school year, and across the five boroughs in subsequent school years
• Highly organized with the ability to meet multiple deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
• Team player who can also self-motivate and work independently outside of the office
• Ability to work with a variety of constituencies including city agencies and partners
• Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Bachelor’s degree or 3 years’ experience in related field preferred
• Second language skills strongly encouraged
• Valid Driver’s License, strongly preferred
NOTE: All offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of the DOE Eligibility Clearance Procedures, which include, but are not limited to, DOE fingerprinting procedures and background investigations.
• Mon – Fri with occasional evening or weekend hours. Time is split 70% in field / 30% in office.
• This position is full-time (35 hours per week) and non-exempt salaried
The position pays $50,500 per year and has a generous benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, long term disability, a pension plan, and paid time off.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
To apply for this job please visit www.grownyc.org.