Stop ‘N’ Swap® Event Assistant
For nearly 50 years, GrowNYC has been transforming communities throughout the five boroughs by giving New Yorkers the tools and resources they need to make our city cleaner, healthier, and more sustainable. Whether it’s operating the world-famous Union Square Greenmarket, building a new community garden, teaching young people about the environment, or increasing recycling rates through education, GrowNYC is hard at work in your neighborhood. GrowNYC is a privately-funded 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
GrowNYC Zero Waste Programs were created in 2006 as part of the Mayor’s Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan (SWMP) in order to meet the ambitious recycling goals outlined in the SWMP. Working closely with the NYC Department of Sanitation, these programs focus on a wide range of waste prevention, reuse, recycling, and composting initiatives to divert material from landfill or incinerator disposal.
Since 2007 GrowNYC has organized a community swap program, now known as Stop ‘N’ Swap. These one-day events attract up to 500 participants who are invited to bring clean, reusable, portable items for others to use or simply show up with a tote bag to see what is free for the taking. Any materials left at the end of the event are sorted for reuse and recycling.
Stop ‘N’ Swap Assistant will support 2 staff and volunteers to ensure that these large and busy events run as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
• Helping with setup and takedown of event space, including erecting tents, arranging tables and posting signage.
• Preparing leftover items for donation or recycling and loading/unloading vehicles.
• Overseeing volunteers in the intake, weighing, sorting, and display of items while helping with those tasks as needed.
• Staffing an information table and conducting general recycling outreach.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with the public, resolve conflicts and address questions and concerns in a professional manner.
• Positive attitude, strong work ethic.
• Ability to lift 40lbs.
• Willingness to travel throughout the city to attend weekend events.
• Second language skills strongly encouraged.
• Working knowledge of recycling in NYC a plus.
The position is part-time, 5-6 events per month (often Saturday and Sunday of the same weekend) – 6 to 7hrs per event, typically 10am – 4pm, though exact times vary. Pay rate: $15/hr.
How to apply: Please email resume, cover letter, and two references to Ida Yu at [email protected] with the subject line “Event Assistant.” No phone calls please. Position is open until filled.
GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation
- 100 Gold Street Suite 3300
- New York,