Greenmarket Regional Manager
|Job Sectors:||Environmental, Other|
GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization – helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
• Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
• We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop ‘N’ Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
• We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
• We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination during the onboarding process. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
Greenmarket Regional Manager (Full-time)
Greenmarket Regional Managers ensure the successful operation of the 50 Greenmarket sites operated by GrowNYC within the five boroughs of New York City.
With support from the larger Food Access and Agriculture Program team, each Regional Manager oversees every aspect of 12-15 individual Greenmarkets, trains and supervises between 5-10 seasonal staff, and helps manage relationships with 80-120 individual Producers, part of the more than 200 farmers, bakers, fishers, and others who make up the Greenmarket Producer community.
The ideal candidate for this position has demonstrated people and project
management experience, as well as an ability to problem solve (6 multiple issues at once) while maintaining a level head.
Greenmarket Regional Manager Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to):
• Ensure that the Greenmarket sites within your assigned region operate safely, efficiently, and effectively for both shoppers and Producers
• Oversee day-to-day logistics and operations for your Greenmarket sites in your assigned region.
• Visit Greenmarket sites regularly to review operations, address issues if they arise, and assess staff performance.
• Develop, adjust, and implement site layouts and operational plans for each Greenmarket site in your assigned region.
• Enforce consistent compliance with the Greenmarket rules at all markets in your assigned region.
• Help oversee the safe operation, maintenance, and stocking of Greenmarket vehicles.
• Work with GrowNYC’s Food Access team to ensure smooth SNAP/EBT operations at market.
• Coordinate, distribute, and maintain market equipment. Ensure all market equipment and site staffing needs are being met.
• Evaluate market product balance and customer demand at each of the markets within your assigned region.
• Assist with market assignments for Greenmarket Producers in your assigned region.
• Work with Assistant Director of Operations to coordinate Greenmarket Producers market reservations in your assigned region.
Market Promotions and Partnerships
• Create a market outreach and promotion plan and oversee its implementation.
• Help plan weekly activities at market sites in your assigned region, including cooking demonstrations and at-market programming.
• Identify, develop, and maintain strategic relationships with community partners – including local business, like-minded organizations, and city agencies.
• Attend Community Board meetings, NYPD Precinct meetings, or other community gatherings to promote individual Greenmarket sites and Greenmarket’s relationships with local institutions and officials.
• Oversee the management of social media at the market sites in your assigned region, in coordination with GrowNYC’s communications team.
• Train and supervise 5-10 site staff who manage markets.
• Assist in the recruiting and hiring process for seasonal staff.
• Be on-call as a resource for your seasonal market manager team and the Producers at your Greenmarket sites in your assigned region.
• Help with the staff scheduling and be available to cover seasonal staff shifts at market sites in your assigned region.
• Three (3) to five (5) years of work experience in project and/or operations management, preferably in an agriculture or food-related field.
• Minimum of two (2) years of experience managing staff (preferably supervisory experience similar in scope to current Greenmarket field-based staffing).
• Creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and use good judgment to make on-the-spot decisions.
• Flexible approach to work, with the ability to focus on meeting emergent needs, and adapt to continuous change.
• Strong initiative and excellent time management skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a close-knit team.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
• Passion for food access and commitment to a racially and socially just food system.
• History of successfully working with people from a variety of identity groups and backgrounds and willingness to work with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, including trans* and nonbinary, sexual orientation, class, and religion.
• A valid New York State driver’s license, with a satisfactory driving record and a willingness to operate a cargo van.
• Comfortable traveling throughout New York City and within a variety of diverse neighborhoods.
• Spanish language proficiency is ideal, but not required for this position.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, work out doors, walking and standing for periods of up to 10 hours, sometimes in extreme temperatures. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Ability to work in a potentially noisy environment.
This position is full-time. Work hours are variable each week. Weekend and holiday work is required, and occasional weeknight and holiday work may be required. This is a hybrid role with a minimum of 2-3 days per week. In-person field-based work and off-site travel will be expected.
The full-time, exempt Regional Manager position pays $65,000 – $75,000 annually, and includes benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability, pension plan, and paid time off).
Greenmarket operates sites in all five boroughs – all locations are outdoors.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.