Events & Campaigns Manager
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement|
Grand St. Settlement was founded in 1916, in the middle of New York City’s settlement house boom, a response to the emergent needs of immigrant populations flocking to lower Manhattan. Community activists and philanthropists recognized the need for neighbors to work together in order to break cycles of poverty; the original settlement house model encouraged neighbors to give of their time, talents, and resources in order to lift one another out of poverty, build a community, and in turn enrich the quality of their own lives.
A history steeped in advocacy and social change enables the agency to consistently grow in size and impact. Today, Grand St. Settlement (GSS) serves thousands of New Yorkers in Manhattan and Brooklyn with a continuum of human services and programs for all ages. In 2016 the agency celebrated its 100th anniversary, marking a century as a cornerstone of the New York City community. In 2018, GSS opened a new community center and social enterprise café as the lead community partner in Essex Crossing, a major development project on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Thanks to a commitment to inclusive diversity and cultural competency, GSS continues to evolve, a true reflection of the communities it serves. In 2018 GSS was awarded the Nonprofit Excellence Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion by the New York Community Trust and NonProfit Coordinating Committee of New York.
This is an exciting time to join the Development & Communications team, as the agency implements needed capital projects, expands its social enterprise job training program, focuses on community engagement and advocacy, and secures new private funding through campaigns and events. Investing in talented and passionate staff, infrastructure and new initiatives is an institutional priority.
GSS is seeking a development and events professional to provide leadership on an exciting portfolio of events and campaigns. S/he will develop and manage the execution, coordination and overall strategy for special events in close collaboration with the Development & Communications team, Executive Director and Board. S/he will manage and learn from special event firms that provide expert support and technical expertise. This work includes:
· Taste of the Lower East Side (annually in April/May) www.tasteofles.org
· Capital Campaign (ongoing over the next three years)
· Let’s Pretend Ball, annual fund drive www.letspretendball.org
· Program-related events to involve corporate volunteers http://www.grandsettlement.org/volunteer
· Community events catered by the GrandLo Café job training program at event spaces in Essex Crossing
· Recognition events for staff, volunteers and donors
· Providing special events and fundraising expertise to program managers in support of their efforts to bring community fundraising events to the next level.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
· A passion for GSS’s mission and genuine excitement to grow your career
· BA/BS degree required
· Minimum of three years of experience, with a preference for more than five years’ experience
· Successful track record in events management from planning to execution
· Thorough knowledge of basic principles of fundraising, including special events, corporate/foundation giving, donor cultivation and recognition, annual and capital campaigns, donor records and acknowledgment
· Entrepreneurial, creative, takes initiative and meets deadlines
· Demonstrate leadership skills in volunteer recruitment and management
· An effective communicator, both written and oral; ability to be a personable and self-confident
· Exceptional organization and implementation skills
· Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks under pressure, achieving results in a timely manner
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, vendor and financial management
· Experience with fundraising software
· An understanding of charitable giving law, basic contracts, and NYC/NYS laws/regulations governing events
· Able to work extended hours and late nights as dictated by events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Events and campaigns are expected to generate $1M+ in general support dollars for Grand St. Settlement.
· Establish annual events and campaigns master plan
· Responsible for event planning from conception to completion; event fundraising; event production serving as primary liaison with event consultants and vendors; and administration
· Manage and support volunteers engaged in fundraising including ancillary income opportunities
· Provide hands-on support to JUMP! mentoring program from strong and ongoing volunteer recruitment, week-to-week volunteer management, and active engagement in Taste of the Lower East Side
· Assist with GrandLo Café catered event production
· Assist with capital campaign-related cultivation events
· Lead GSS efforts for group volunteer engagements including corporate days of service
· Coordinate with staff/consultants on development of materials for solicitations and acknowledgements, and marketing and public relations
· Assist with other fundraising projects as requested.
HOW TO APPLY
Click the link at this website and follow the instructions to apply:
Grand St. Settlement
- 80 Pitt St
- New York, NY 10002
- Phone: (646) 201-4208