|Job Category:||Administrative, Finance, HR, Programs/Services|
|Job Sectors:||Arts & Culture, Community Improvement, Education|
For more than 20 years, Girls Write Now has been a leader in arts education as New York’s first and only writing and mentoring organization for girls. We match underserved teen girls and gender non-conforming youth from throughout the five boroughs of New York City with women professional writers and digital media makers as their personal mentors. Our mentees are published in outlets including The New York Times, Newsweek, and BuzzFeed, perform at Lincoln Center and the United Nations, and earn hundreds of Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. 100% of Girls Write Now seniors are accepted to college. The organization has been distinguished three times by the White House as one of the nation’s top youth programs and twice by the Nonprofit Excellence Awards as one of New York’s top ten nonprofits. Reaching thousands of girls, Girls Write Now is a founding partner of the New York City Council’s STARS Citywide Girls Initiative.
Girls Write Now seeks an Operations Coordinator who is a team player and passionate about empowering young women’s voices through writing and mentoring. Reporting to the Executive Director and working collaboratively across departments, this position will coordinate core operations functions, including finance, human resources, data/systems, and office infrastructure.
- Develop annual budget in coordination with Executive Director and Senior Staff
- Manage weekly bookkeeping activities, biweekly payroll, and benefits administration
- Coordinate annual audit, serving as primary liaison to Controller and independent auditor
- Assist with development of program/project budgets and timely financial reports; support grants and government contract administration in collaboration with Development Staff
- Perform basic cost-benefit and other analyses to support organizational decision-making; create and maintain physical and electronic files and tracking systems; support organization-wide rollout of new/improved systems and protocols
- Play active role in recruiting, onboarding, and supporting new staff and interns, including training on various systems and ensuring that staff/interns have a high level of support, complete information (including understanding benefits), and all materials needed to succeed
- Oversee internship program in coordination with departmental supervisors, including recruitment, onboarding, providing ongoing program support, and researching/implementing best practices
- Coordinate with consultants to ensure Girls Write Now is in compliance with the latest local, state, and federal laws
- Maintain productive relationships with partners, vendors, consultants, and building/facilities representatives
- Manage centralized office protocols around acquiring and maintaining organizational assets (supplies, technology, equipment, furniture, use of credit cards and petty cash)
- Manage and track the organization’s insurance providers, facilitating renewal processes and ensuring coverage for Girls Write Now
- Serve as gatekeeper for daily office operations, including addressing/rerouting external information requests via phone and email; maintaining a clean, organized, and efficient office environment; resolving space issues (technology, facilities, equipment)
- Prepare materials for key staff meetings, Board and Committee meetings, funder site visits, and special events
- Undertake special projects spanning all departments and requiring collaboration with staff at all levels
- Other duties, as assigned
Successful candidates will be goal-oriented, able to meet deadlines, and focused on deliverables, while demonstrating flexibility and adapting to new priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- B.A. degree required
- A minimum of three years of nonprofit management experience
Salary & Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and benefit packages, including health insurance, retirement, and flexible spending plans, as well as 20 paid leave days plus holidays.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is GWN’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and to all applicants for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, disability (including victims of domestic violence), age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or citizenship. This policy applies to all GWN activities including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, and promotion.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Make sure to include “Operations Coordinator” in the subject line. Priority deadline is September 16th and early applications are highly encouraged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Girls Write Now, Inc.
New York’s premier creative writing and mentoring organization
- 247 West 37th Street, Suite 1000
- New York, NY 10018
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org