|Job Sectors:||Arts & Culture, Community Improvement, Education|
For more than 20 years, Girls Write Now has been a leader in arts education as New York’s first and only writing and mentoring organization for girls. We match underserved teen girls and gender non-conforming youth from throughout the five boroughs of New York City with women professional writers and digital media makers as their personal mentors. Our mentees are published in outlets including The New York Times, Newsweek, and BuzzFeed, perform at Lincoln Center and the United Nations, and earn hundreds of Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. 100% of Girls Write Now seniors are accepted to college. The organization has been distinguished three times by the White House as one of the nation’s top youth programs and twice by the Nonprofit Excellence Awards as one of New York’s top ten nonprofits. Reaching thousands of girls, Girls Write Now is a founding partner of the New York City Council’s STARS Citywide Girls Initiative.
Girls Write Now seeks a Community Coordinator who is a team player and passionate about empowering young women’s voices through writing and mentoring. You will work collaboratively with all staff, volunteers, and interns on mentor and mentee recruitment and enrollment; workshop curriculum planning; mentorship pair support; college preparation for mentees; internal and external communications; fundraising; and events, gaining experience across departments. You will coordinate programming for, and offer support to, pairs and participants enrolled or engaged in Girls Write Now programming.
Working closely alongside staff, volunteers, and advisors in the Girls Write Now community, you will:
- Coordinate mentor and mentee recruitment and enrollment process: interview, assess, train, and match participants, as well as maintain a close working relationship with mentors and mentees throughout the program year
- Support event management and planning, including workshops, readings, “Writing Works” programming, corporate partnership workshops, and other events that support our mission
- Motivate and coordinate high-level volunteers across the organization including mentors
- Help create and produce innovative genre-based monthly workshops using and building on our creative, critical, and digital curriculum
- Create a welcoming, safe space to provide pair support for mentors and mentees
- Identify mentors and mentees to serve as ambassadors for events or to participate in special initiatives
- Engage in administrative support and data entry related to programming, using Excel, Salesforce, and other platforms
- Create and maintain a range of communications through our website, newsletter, blog, and/or social media channels
- Support day-to-day operations in the office
- Other projects as assigned
Successful candidates will be collaborative, goal-oriented, able to meet deadlines, and focused on deliverables, while demonstrating flexibility and adapting to new priorities in a fast-paced environment.
§ Bachelor’s Degree
§ 1-2 years of professional work experience and/or strong internships
§ Administrative, organizational, and computer skills (e.g., Salesforce, WordPress, Campaign Monitor, social media platforms)
§ Strong writing and editing skills
§ A deep commitment to the mission of Girls Write Now
§ Must be available one Saturday per month and occasional evenings
Salary & Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and benefit packages. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is GWN’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and to all applicants for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, disability (including victims of domestic violence), age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or citizenship. This policy applies to all GWN activities including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, and promotion.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Make sure to include “Community Coordinator” in the subject line. Priority deadline is September 11th and early applications are highly encouraged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Girls Write Now, Inc.
New York’s premier creative writing and mentoring organization
- 247 West 37th Street, Suite 1000
- New York, NY 10018
- United States