ExpandED Schools is a leading afterschool organization that advances educational equity for students from under-served communities across New York City. Founded in 1998 with a catalytic $125M from the Open Society Foundations, ExpandED designed the nation’s first city-wide, publicly-funded system for afterschool programming. Today, through advocacy, research, and program development, ExpandED continues to build the capacity of the NYC afterschool field to address the educational inequities that prevent far too many students from reaching their full potential.
Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable models that provide more quality learning. Since our founding in 1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained more than 30,000 educators and teachers. Now more than ever, children need access to innovative, engaging ways of learning. ExpandED is designing online programming, organizing and uniting partners across the afterschool field, and leading the fight for urgently-needed public funding to ensure kids from communities most affected by COVID-19 will continue to have access to a robust public education.
Purpose of Position:
The Development Officer will be a key member of the Institutional Advancement team joining at a dynamic moment of growth for the department. Reporting to the Director of Institutional Giving, the Development Officer will primarily focus on ongoing cultivation and growth of our institutional portfolio. The Development Officer will also support the department’s efforts to grow our base of corporate and individual donors.
- Research foundation and corporate prospects; prepare funder briefs and recommend prospects with strong potential for ExpandED
- Prepare cultivation materials, which might include drafting outreach notes, editing and finalizing programmatic strategy overviews and pitch decks, etc.
- Adapt program concept notes into proposal first drafts that highlight program value and align to the specific funder’s interests
- Write interim and final reports to funders that capture programmatic accomplishments, impact data, and lessons learned
- Support processes for information sharing and alignment among Program, Finance, Research, and Institutional Advancement teams
- Manage institutional donor calendar and record keeping
Additional Departmental Support:
- Support project management and administrative duties related to special events, volunteerism, individual giving campaigns, and other departmental functions
- Provide support for Junior Board management and events
- Edit and proofread a variety of ExpandED communications, including concept notes, blog posts, email campaigns, etc.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience and 1-2 years of fundraising experience
- Excellent writing skills.
- Attention to detail and high standards for presentation of written material.
- Ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment with humor and flexibility.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, collaborate with colleagues across multiple departments, prioritize competing tasks, and follow through on assignments.
- Deep commitment to ExpandED Schools’ vision of an equitable public education system that prepares young people for long-term success in the 21st century economy; knowledge of K-12 public education and funding a plus.
- Alignment with ExpandED’s core values of antiracism, trust-building, inclusivity, and collaborative problem-solving.
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Minimum Salary: $68,000
- Medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- A generous paid time off package which includes 24 vacation days, 8 sick days, and 12 paid holidays
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after one year of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected], Subject: Development Officer. No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- 11 West 42nd Street, 3rd Floor
- New York, New York 10036
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com