Senior Director of Operations
|Job Sectors:||Human Services|
Job Title: Senior Director of Operations
Supervisor: Chief Operating Officer
Job Status: Salaried Exempt (Full-Time)
Job Hours: 35 hours per week
Location: Midtown Manhattan
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
About Encore: For over 40 years, Encore Community Services has provided care to the elderly of the Clinton, Times Square, and Midtown communities, so that they may live with dignity and decency in a safe and caring environment. Encore provides a comprehensive array of programs for older New Yorkers including supportive and affordable housing, home delivered and sit-down meals, case assistance, education, recreation, and friendly visiting. The organization takes a “no wrong door approach” to ensure Seniors are able to access all of their neighborhood and other entitled resources so they may age in place comfortably for as long as possible. Encore is at an exciting inflection point in its development. With the arrival of a new Executive Director, the organization is working to build off of a rich history to deepen its services and scale the work of giving back to seniors. Encore is keenly aware that the demographics of Older New Yorkers are rapidly evolving. Therefore, Encore must also evolve to ensure the health, mental health, and economic stability of New York’s diverse and vibrant senior community.
About Position: Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Senior Director of Operations will be responsible for the operational success of the Encore Community Center(s) including its Congregate meals service, the Home Delivered Meals Program and Encore facilities. He/she will ensure seamless team management and development, program delivery, and quality control and evaluation. The Senior Director will manage a $4M budget, lead and supervise a team that includes direct service staff members and Management Team members. The Senior Director will have opportunity to implement innovative ideas that reflect the evolving needs of a growing and diverse population. This is an opportunity to be part of a high caliber team at the forefront of innovating the way senior services are provided at Encore. Located right in the heart of Manhattan in the Theater District, the Senior Director will not only have the opportunity to shape a department internally, but also bridge partnerships and resources between Encore and a robust network of community stakeholders in order to create a more comprehensive and integrated service model. The Senior Director will represent Encore to funders and other external partners as they relate to the operations of the Center’s programs. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with team management experience to grow and further develop proven programs. The successful candidate will be a seasoned manager and skilled leader with a mindset to navigate a fast paced and constantly evolving work environment.
Program Management & Development
• Serve as an executive member of Encore’s leadership team. As an Executive Team member, the Senior Director will be responsible for thought leadership, strategy, and management of an evolving division within the organization which currently includes food procurement and kitchen operations; congregate meals and home delivered meals programs; and facilities/maintenance management;
• Create, with support from the finance team, an annual department budget and manage the budget; track day-to-day expenses; make department budget projections; and manage expenses to ensure budgets are fully and appropriately spent down;
• Oversee the relationships and manage accountability with subcontractors and vendors including meal preparation contractors, delivery contractors, and case management agencies;
• Supervise a team of managers and direct service staff; coach, evaluate, and hold staff accountable to long term goals and day-to-day tasks.
• Partner with the Senior Director of Programs in developing and overseeing innovative and relevant services that will help Encore clients achieve a variety of goals.
• Maintain close communication with the volunteer outreach team to ensure the Center(s) demand for volunteers is accurately represented and provide the volunteer outreach team with adequate volunteer recruitment information, and volunteer training guidance;
• Monitor, assess, mitigate, and resolve issues that impact the quality of service and professional standards;
• Ensure a high level of customer service satisfaction for congregate and home delivered meals clients. This includes being responsive to feedback on meal quality and other client interactions.
• Conduct regular taste tests, following regulatory standards, to ensure the highest quality meal service;
• Implement and monitor the standards and mandates of NYC Dept. for the Aging (DFTA), Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), and all other funders.
• Develop, implement, and monitor efficient program policies and procedures;
• Serve as the main contact with all funders and ensure programs are meeting contractual mandates; Facilities Management
• Supervise building managers and maintenance staff and liaise with Encore’s residential building management companies(s)
• Ensure all aspects of Encore’s facilities are fully up to code and in compliance with various City, State, and Federal agency regulations;
• Ensure the day-to-day operations and maintenance of Encore’s facilities, including buildings that Encore owns and rents out;
• Allocate and manage facility space for maximum efficiency
• Supervise maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment
• Collaborate with managers in any renovations or equipment upgrades needed at all sites. This also includes keeping current certificates and documentation required by the Fire Department, Buildings Department, Health Department and funding sources.
• Develop and implement a facility management program including preventative maintenance and life- cycle expectations
• Ensure compliance with health and safety standards and industry codes
• Negotiate contracts to optimize delivery and cost savings
• Manage and review service contracts to ensure facility management needs are beingmet
• Assist in the review and procurement of furniture and equipment needs. Executive Team Leadership
• Partner with the Senior Director of Development and Communications to cultivate existing relationships with funders, partners, and other collaborators with the goal of ensuring sufficient resources and access to new and innovative services;
• Develop and implement strategies that will maximize the synergies among program areas;
• Represent Encore at community outreach meetings, conferences, trainings, and network with local agencies/organizations;
• Utilize data to support the development and enhancement of innovative programs and services;
• Initiate new approaches to support the organization’s mission and goals;
Team Management and Development
• Provide job training, professional development, individualized supervision and evaluation to program staff;
• Educate staff on best practices, holistic health/wellness, and current trends in senior services
• At least seven years of professional work experience, five of which in leadership roles managing and supervising high performing teams in a dynamic, fast passed, and high stakes human service environment;
• Excellent written, verbal and computer skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team;
• Demonstrated experience building teams, facilitating staff and client involvement, and yielding meaningful and quantifiable outcomes;
• Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs;
• Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
• Ability to multitask while also meeting deadlines
• Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance
• Visionary leader, strategic thinker, and problem solver with the ability to respond to issues quickly and effectively
• Ability to have a flexible work schedule and willingness to jump in and “get the work done,” even if that means working occasionally on weekends, evenings, and some traditional holidays.
• Fluency in Spanish;
• Bachelors degree in a related field
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
• Masters degree in a related field
• Experience running programs that give back to Older People (60 years +);
• Experience with programs that serve “special populations,” including mentally ill, homeless and/or formally homeless, people living with HIV, and other groups with special needs;
• Knowledge of and experience working with NYC agencies such as DHS, DFTA, DHMH, DYCD;
How to apply: Email Resume and Cover Letter with Salary requirements to [email protected] In the subject line, please indicate “Senior Director of Operations”
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Encore Community Services offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Encore Community Services
- 239 West 49th Street
- New York, NY 10019